PDA

View Full Version : Multichanger cable to MP3 player?

Bruce
05-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Much to my despair, my Beat's tape player recently gave up the ghost and has now permanently eaten a tape, it seems. Try as it might (and it really sounds like it’s trying…), it cannot eject the tape, and I don’t seem to be able to lift it up and remove it, presumably because the head is still engaged with the cassette. It comes up with an Error message on screen when trying to play I think. I am guessing that repair would be pretty tricky job. Any ideas on how I can persuade the tape out?

Kind of gauling, as I only really need one tape to work in it – the tape adaptor the lets me plug my MP3 hard drive unit into it. But I no longer have this option any more it appears. So I am looking for solutions.

By far my favourite option would be to connect one of those cables that normally go to a Clarion CD multichanger, but instead, somehow fit an adaptor to the end of the cable that will let me plug in my MP3 hard drive directly into it, via its standard 3.5mm headphone socket. Obviously I do not need to be able to control the player with the head unit or anything fancy – just transmit the audio.

Is this possible?
Will the audio signal be at a reasonably appropriate level?
Where can I buy such an adaptor for the end of the cable?
Is there a CD multichanger cable already plugged into the back of the head unit?
If so, where in the car can I find the other end of the cable?
If not, what type of cable would I need to buy exactly?
Where can I read the procedure for connecting the cable? OzSamurai’s site? Another thread?

If this option is simply impossible, other options are:
b) Buy an FM transmitter for use with the MP3 player. But the quality will be poor, and the aerial will no doubt be snapped off by jokers if I ever leave it up. I have some nice Focal door speakers as well as the dash speakers, so am keen to retain quality.

c) Buy a compatible multichanger. But this will take up room and, eurgh, only 6 albums? Anyway, I’d be interested in how you get the cable past the engine.

d) Is repair of the head unit really out of the question? I gather you need very Japanese hands.

e) Fit a standard size head unit – I need to find a wide head unit adaptor for this – can they be found? Will it involve a messy and fiddly hacking job?

In the meantime, at least I get to appreciate how the big aerial on the small Beat makes it look like a giant radio controlled toy car…

Thank you for your help,

Bruce

LawrenceHarding
06-07-2007, 12:52 AM
There was an illustrated how to guide somewhere on this site on removing and dismantling the stereo in order to replace the tape deck which was available in 2003 (when we replaced one of ours) from clarion. Sorry I can't find the invoice with part number.
Brief Guide to getting it out. The stereo is held in by one screw each side behind the carpet on the side of the tunnel. Reach round the back and disconnect aerial, autochanger cable (round) if fitted and speaker/power connector (rectangular with locking clip on top which needs to be pressed in to remove). The unit can then be slid out with a bit of a fiddle.
The lid is held on by two screws at the front, just behind the fascia and two at the back. It can then be prised off by inserting a suitable tool in the slots labelled open on the sides. The tape deck is then visible. If you need to get it out There are four screws, three on the corners and one between the two motors. The connectors on the back simply pull out upwards.

HBEAT
06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
u know your stereo's

Steve_M
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
The Beat radio parts were available via Clarion UK, Phil (Beatproducts) may be able to help with some more details.

The cassette part of the unit was available as an assembly and can be changed.

I think Paul W had info on connecting other items to the beat radio e.g. Mini Disc unit and also a how to for replacing cassette unit.

HTH

Paul w
06-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Clarion use their own proprietry 'C Bus' to control the changer etc.
In theory any 6 slot C bus changer should work....However i tried a minidisc changer and that wouldnt play!

As for MP3.....

http://www.soundmasterscotland.com/clarion_ea1251e_clarion_ipod_interface_i018710.asp x

with

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6RPNu7LaJgR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=234650&tab=detailed_info&i=020RCB138

Paul w
06-07-2007, 03:44 PM
think. I am guessing that repair would be pretty tricky job. Any ideas on how I can persuade the tape out?

Its actually quite simple to get it apart....the tape mechanism is almost a seperate item inside the chassis.

Its the putting it together again and having all your buttons still working thats an artform!

I cant find the guide i used to have for this, i'll keep searching though

PW