PDA

View Full Version : timing belt gone snap

mat2
24-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi my timing belt snapped last night

I wasn't travelling fast, stopped as quick as I could and did not try to restart it

How do I find out if it has damaged any pistons, etc?

Is it a case of getting a garage to put another belt on and then see

or can they tell straight away if it's damaged

Cheers Mat

Wh1teLeopard
24-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I have no idea at all to be honest, but I can't imagine it's gonna be good news

Steve_M
24-05-2007, 04:35 PM
More likely just bent valves rather than any piston damage.

Take rocket cover off and check for excessive valve clearances.

next question will be why did the belt snap? age of belt?? seized distributor???

Valves are not cheap, looking at £500 for a set of valve along with £120 for topend gasket set. plus labour to do job if paying garage. Prob looking at £1000

DaX
24-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi my timing belt snapped last night

I wasn't travelling fast, stopped as quick as I could and did not try to restart it

How do I find out if it has damaged any pistons, etc?

Is it a case of getting a garage to put another belt on and then see

or can they tell straight away if it's damaged

Cheers Mat

First and foremost you should perform a compression test and a leakdown test - these two will tell most of the story of what happened.

Siu
24-05-2007, 07:50 PM
When u last change of timing belt? How many kilometers u take when the timing snap?

Yojimbo!
25-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Valves are not cheap, looking at £500 for a set of valves along with £120 for topend gasket set. plus labour to do job if paying garage. Prob looking at £1000

£60 per valve!:eek:

Faints!

Wh1teLeopard
25-05-2007, 12:31 AM
You're telling me lol

I had to have a full set of exhaust valves not long back, massive chunk of money outta my budget :rolleyes:

Steve_M
25-05-2007, 08:15 AM
£60 per valve!:eek:

Faints!

How many valves do you think a beat engine has????

I make it £42 a valve, well actually its less for an inlet and more for an exhaust valve.

mat2
25-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Sort of good news

got to have a good look at my car last night

I thought it was timing belt because when I first crawled underneath and first thing I could see was a bit of rubber with a groove in sticking out the belt cover

Well having put it in my garage and took the rocker cover off its all in place at the top end so does this mean it hasn't snapped

Is the rubber a piece of a seal to the timing belt cover?

Car still wont start it just makes a thud sound which sounds like it might be a solenoid on the starter but it still doesn't explain why it stopped in the first place and just cut out after a speed bump

Yojimbo!
25-05-2007, 09:08 AM
but it still doesn't explain why it stopped in the first place and just cut out after a speed bump

How fast did you hit the speed bump?http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/images/smilies/wink.gif

Long shot… but I did manage to disable the fuel system on a BMW years ago by hitting a deep pothole at speed, it had an impact sensor that cuts off the fuel in a crash and it had tripped… I don't know if a Beat has something similar?

bazza
25-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Guys let me know the part numbers for the bits you need and I'll get a price from Honda Japan.. Bound to be 30% cheaper than HUK! :suicide: