PDA

View Full Version : Plans to ban cars older than 10years from our roads

Wh1teLeopard
24-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Banning/restricting cars over 10yrs old. This is on the .gov website too.

"Several EU proposals across the years are dangerous to the classic car movement. One that has been under consideration is to ban the use of cars older than 10 years. Similarly, Edinburgh City Council is considering the banning of cars over 15 years old from the town centre. These, and similar, proposals directly threaten the classic car movement, and encourage the manufacture of new cars, with the attendent environmental issues of sourcing raw materials, manufacturing, distriuting and scrapping the spiralling supply of new vehicles."

You'll be banned from using the roads and only allowed to take the vehicle out having obtained PRIOR consent from your local council.. I.e youd have to plan your route in advance and inform the council for approval who may then decline the whole thing or certain aspects like perhaps if you wish to pass through a city centre etc...

sign the petition here:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Classic-Cars/

Yojimbo!
24-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Signed!

More goobermintfuckwittery:mad:

brucebp
24-04-2007, 03:03 PM
We will have to spread the word if only 600 people know about it and have signed

marge602
24-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Isn't this supposed to be a democracy? Does anyone else think the only way to save this country is to remove anyone in a position of power and replace them with someone with some common sense? No wonder so many people are taking to the streets in protest. I would, and i will if i have to.

Grrrrrr

Marge

yorkshireman
27-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Now 3000 signatures but many more needed! Get signing!

jcs
10-05-2007, 01:10 AM
They still don't get it do they. :explode: I presume they'd also propose removing trucks and buses over 10 yrs old too? And maybe trains. What about bicycles and pedestrians over 10 - that would reduce some of the road death statistics. And then there are roads that haven't been surfaced in the last ten years - close 'em, I say! If it's to do with emissions, should we suppose that an older 4.0L car doing 3,000 miles p.a. is more polluting than a modern 1.4L car doing 15,000 miles p.a. As usual, the idiots have failed to think it through!:suicide:

roastbeef
31-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I guess it raises the question: what are the objectives of such a move? Until they're understood it's difficult to understand the sense behind such a proposal. Presumably there's a perception that cars >10 yrs old are more likely to be unsafe due to poor maintenance (e.g. pizza delivery chap's car) and have less efficient engines (higher polluting). My 2cents worth on this :o)

Wh1teLeopard
31-05-2007, 03:16 PM
(e.g. pizza delivery chap's car) and have less efficient engines (higher polluting). My 2cents worth on this :o)

I'll have you know my Smart car which I use to deliver for Dominos is perfectly safe.

UltraViolet
31-05-2007, 11:41 PM
It is a farce, the whole policy of trying to encourage people into newer cars has only one motive as far as I can see - and it isn't green....... tax is paid on the purchase of new cars!

No other reason makes sense as there is no sweeping rule that older cars are more polluting than newer (some are, some are not) - but more importantly.... it causes a lot less carbon emissions keeping an old car running than building a new one. The environmental cost of a throw-away society outweighs that of maintaining perfectly good older stuff.

I know some will assume that my 16 year old 3.0 litre engine will be causeing horric damage to the environment - but it is well maintained and at MOT each year it always causes amusement over how clean it is. The chap even commented last MOT that he had a 3 yr old Focus in just before me that failed the emissions test while my 'old car' seems to be putting out cleaner air than it sucks in!! (ok, that's an exageration - but you know what I mean)

They didn't tkae much notice of the anti-road pay-per-drive petition though so I wouldn't hold your breath.........