PDA

View Full Version : The state of my ECU

DaX
20-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, I got bored today on my lunch break so I decided to remove my main relay and ECU to examine them. The main relay appears to be fine with no cracked solder joints.

The ECU, however, is not so great. Two of my capacitors have burst and leaked onto the board. The other four are fine, but when I get back from vacation next week, I'll be replacing all six. The electrolyte that has leaked appears to have corroded some of the surrounding components (resistors and a diode only).

Does anyone recommend I replace the affected resistors and diode along with the capacitors? Pictures attached...

brucebp
20-04-2007, 10:37 PM
You are a brave man to tackle it at all. Don't think I would

HBEAT
21-04-2007, 03:30 AM
hmmm looks like u got a nice job on your hands there!!

Paul w
21-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I would replace them to be honest. The electrolyte is very corrosive and even if cleaned off it may have degraded the resistors. The sooner the better really too....

Its not that hard really, but you need to be fairly competant at soldering

I've just done Tado's Capacitors and he dodged that bullet as one of his caps was barrelled but not leaking just yet.....

PW

Paul w
21-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Just noticed that this is not a standard ECU. Is it Chipped? or is it from a type Z? (extra 2 chips fitted and probably a link at L1)

old'uns
21-04-2007, 08:34 PM
brave man to do it, but better to do it at home than break down & struggle to get back:help:

DaX
23-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Just noticed that this is not a standard ECU. Is it Chipped? or is it from a type Z? (extra 2 chips fitted and probably a link at L1)

Paul - I am fairly competent at soldering. I used to have a turbocharged Civic and did some soldering in that ECU as well as for some of my friends. I have a Hakko 926 (pretty nice soldering unit). :)

Today I purchased new capacitors and new resistors for where they have been corroded. I have decided to not replace the Zener diode - first, because it isn't really corroded (the solder joint is, and I'm going to try just reflowing solder), and second, because I can't identify exactly what type of Zener diode it is without removing it (the labeling is on the bottom).

As for the ECU, I have no idea. I did notice that there was a 74HC373N and a 28-pin ROM installed on the ECU already - I know on Civic/Integra ECU's that these are only installed if running an aftermarket program. I was not sure if this was a standard part on Beat ECU's or not.

The ROM has a sticker covering the erase window, but no indications of what program is on it. I was noticing while driving it that my revs seem to go to 9,000 instead of 8,500 as marked by the tachometer. Maybe someone has some insight into which chip I'm running?

DaX
24-04-2007, 01:33 AM
All done. It still cranks and runs! I'm going to take my time putting it back together and clean my trim pieces well.

After all the necessary components were removed, I used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the corrosion off the board.

The true test will come over the next few hundred miles to see if there is an increase in performance and fuel efficiency!