PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Offer Some Assistance Please

Jakflash
09-04-2007, 01:57 AM
:help: I have a 1991 Beat - Love it.
All was going well, parked the car in the garaage as usual after a day trip.
Came out next morning, the car started as usual first go, everything was just as is should be. BUT when I went to drive off there was very little power.

It was as though some one had placed a block of wood under the acceleretor, the car had very little power.
There had been no previous problems.

I had the car on a tow truck to the local mechanic.

Well it has now been 10 weeks and we have:-
Replaced the fuel filter
Replaced the spark plugs
Replaced the cam angkle sensor
Replaced the timing belt
Had the ECU servived

The mechanic is now asking me to locate a wiring diagram as the ECU service people couild not bench test the unit without a wiring daigram. Does anyoine have a service manual on CD or that could be emailed to me?

Still the problem exists and all I have done is made the mechanic a wealthy man.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to look at?
This is truly frustrating.

My email address is: jakflash42@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Regards

Jak

Wh1teLeopard
09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
What we've done in the past with mine in similar situation is to start things like compression tests of the 3 cylinders. Maybe that might give you a clue, or at least rule something out.

LawrenceHarding
09-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Does it tickover smoothly or misfire? Does the engine check light come on? If you have access to a timing light with an inductive pickup ( the type that clips round the plug leads) try running the engine and clipping the pickup around each lead in turn and observe the flashes. It should flash evenly.
Uneven flashes on the coil to distributor lead suggests problems with that lead, the coil or its connections. Uneven or no flashes on a plug lead suggests a problem with that lead. Uneven flashes on all plug leads suggests distributor problems. (Thanks to a Haynes manual for the above.) Try checking plug leads and coil to distributor leads with an Ohm meter. I don't know the correct figures for Beat but I imagine anything over 25000 ohms (the figure for a Prelude , which also has PGM-FI engine management) is probably too high
Finally, this may sound silly but have you checked to ensure the throttle is opening properly at the engine end.

Jakflash
10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, we have checked all of the points that you mantioned before we did the replacements of the timing belt, crank angle sensor, etc.

I am certain that it is some little thing that is staring us in the face but we keep overlooking it.

Thanks Again for Your Input.

Jak

yorkshireman
12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
:help: I have a 1991 Beat - Love it.
All was going well, parked the car in the garaage as usual after a day trip.
Came out next morning, the car started as usual first go, everything was just as is should be. BUT when I went to drive off there was very little power.

It was as though some one had placed a block of wood under the acceleretor, the car had very little power.
There had been no previous problems.

I had the car on a tow truck to the local mechanic.

Well it has now been 10 weeks and we have:-
Replaced the fuel filter
Replaced the spark plugs
Replaced the cam angkle sensor
Replaced the timing belt
Had the ECU servived

The mechanic is now asking me to locate a wiring diagram as the ECU service people couild not bench test the unit without a wiring daigram. Does anyoine have a service manual on CD or that could be emailed to me?

Still the problem exists and all I have done is made the mechanic a wealthy man.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to look at?
This is truly frustrating.

My email address is: jakflash42@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Regards

Jak
I got the wiring diagram off this site but I can't think how,someone will tell you how. Tony,

Jakflash
16-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the assistance that was offered.

The Car Is Running Again - Revs and Drives again .......

BUT the management light is still on.

This was supposedly the crank angle sensor BUT after replacing it at the advice of the mechanic, along with all the other items that have been replaced, the light is still on.

NOW I just need to find out why the light is still on????

Jak

adrianp
16-04-2007, 07:29 AM
If the light is still on, then it might pay to check the timing is set properly...

It's only got to be a tiny bit out and the light will come on, might pay to experiment with the position of the distributor whilst the engine is running to see if moving it makes the light go out.

When mine had a different problem, I could get the light to come on / go out by moving the distributor whilst I was fault finding.

I think there is a guide on doing it properly on the site somewhere.

Ady.