PDA

View Full Version : Rear Window Replacement

DaX
06-03-2007, 11:12 PM
In an attempt to not clutter up Oz's DIY on replacing the rear window (I finally read the forum rules ;)), I decided to post my progress here.

I cut the busted and cloudy rear window out of my soft top last week sometime. I have only been taking the Beat out on nice days - some driving with the top up and some with it down, all without the rear piece of the top in.

I found what I think will be a suitable replacement for the rear window at www.mcmaster.com - it's part # 87875K17 and is 0.018" thick clear PVC film in a 54" wide sheet, and it's only $2.07 USD per foot. Somewhat thinner than the original rear window, but I think it's more than sturdy enough.

I purchased a tube of LocTite brand Vinyl, Fabric, & Plastic Flexible Adhesive and am experimenting with using it as an alternative to black silicone like Oz used. I'm going to see how well it will bond the clear PVC film to the strip of plastic left behind on the section of the top where it appears the rear window was originally thermally sealed in place. I'm also checking how well the clear PVC bonds to the interior and exterior of the top material. Whichever seems to hold best is where I'll glue the window in at.

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have my top back together.

owensexport
09-03-2007, 06:46 AM
I can get you a new top if you need it.

DaX
12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I can get you a new top if you need it.

I'd love it, but probably cannot afford it at the moment.

In other news, I hate the contact cement I've tried. It warps the PVC sheet too much. I'm going to go with a black silicone like Oz did. Next weekend probably...*sigh*

DaX
28-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Well I finally got around to putting the new window plastic in. Now to let it sit for 2 days to cure. I ended up ditching the contact cement - it melted the plastic and made it all gooey - it was a horrible mess to clean up!

Pulled the rear part of the top out - you can see the split and fogged over window...

Wh1teLeopard
28-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Looks like a job well done :)

DaX
28-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Cut the bad window out - here I'm tracing out the replacement. I have about 2" of extra material around the window per Oz.

DaX
28-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Rear part of top sans window. It's a messy job and I don't want the wife to kill me for killing the carpet!

DaX
28-03-2007, 11:40 PM
This is the adhesive I ended up using. It's made to install windshields in cars. I picked it up at AutoZone for $13, ouch.

DaX
28-03-2007, 11:41 PM
You can see the first bead I laid down along the bottom of the window area. I did it in sections to minimize the window getting the adhesive all over it.

DaX
28-03-2007, 11:41 PM
The completed job. Now all I have to do is let it cure then trim up the plastic. If you look close you can see how far out I wet the silicone - I laid the plastic on it and then pressed the silicone away from the opening in the top to wet it out.

DaX
28-03-2007, 11:42 PM
A more clear shot of the silicone wet out.

DaX
23-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, my home remedy did not hold up for long at all. :(

I did end up taking the rear part of the top to a local Automotive Upholstery shop and they sewed in a new piece of flexible clear material for $80. Now I'm very happy. :)