PDA

View Full Version : radio removal

old'uns
17-02-2007, 08:44 PM
anyone know how to take out radio?
want to fit FM expander but don't think my hands are small enough to fit from footwell!

Wh1teLeopard
17-02-2007, 10:43 PM
At the side of the radio about a foot from the face are 2 gold coloured bolts.

It's quite possible you will need to release the carpet from the sides of the radio before these bolt become visible.

Once they are removed you will be able to pull the radio out. You will need to undo the wire loom at the back if you wish to completley pull out. however the loom is very short, you will not be able to completley pull it out of the console of the dash to work on the loom. It will also be a bit of a pain to get the loom back into the back of the stereo.

So bare that in mind if you wish to completley remove the stereo ;)

old'uns
17-02-2007, 11:53 PM
cheers emm, will try tomorrow

hondzilla
18-02-2007, 01:54 PM
you don't need to totaly remove the radio to fit a fm expander.
i done it on mine and only had to remove te plastic cap around the radio that only is screwed whit 2 screws as mentioned by leopard.

old'uns
18-02-2007, 05:04 PM
ever wished you hadn't started something?
took off all plastic trim to make it easier & to check patching in to correct wire. got it to work ok, then l/h speakers & sub woofer not working. found out 1 wire had become loose, temp sorted that then unit stopped working all together.
wiring has been cut & chopped at some time so suspect some more wires loose?
next job is to check wiring loom in vicinity of radio.
anyone got wiring diagram so i can check properly and also check unit off car?
whilst got all trim off decided to check subwoofer which was a bit 'fuzzy', found out cone was becoming detached from frame so looks like visit to local ICE shop to see about new speaker as well

old'uns
19-02-2007, 08:10 PM
update: still wish i hadn't started!

re-done conn block, door speakers 'fuzzy', subwoofer not working, looks like no power to it
oh & expander doesn't appear to be working either!
speaking to clarion swindon tomorrow for info & possible repairs. apparently they refurb Nissan Figaro radios & update them to mp3 spec

Wh1teLeopard
20-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear you've had some much trouble with it. Feel kinda guilty telling you how to start now :awwww:

Hope you can get it all sorted soon though :)

old'uns
20-02-2007, 12:33 PM
spoken to clarion & have received .pdf of wiring for rear of the 40w & 120w units so at least i now know which wire does what:confused:
doesn't help with subwoofer @ moment but think i'll concentrate on getting unit to work again first
emm, do you want me to post link to diagram?

Wh1teLeopard
20-02-2007, 10:13 PM
If you feel like posting it, I'm sure it will come in useful to anyone else in your position in the future :)

old'uns
21-02-2007, 05:43 PM
yipee! working again.
both door speakers, rubber between cone & frame perished, replaced with some new ones had lying about for a while.
subwoofer going same way, glued with hot glue for time being, not been able to source new one small enough yet -4.5''- whereas 6'' seems to be smallest available. might look into home stereo speakers, ohms resistance might be problem?

redone connector block again!

fitted.... all working... nearly

sound seems weird? almost like an arena or stadium effect, vocals seem really distant
can this unit alter sound effects?

Paul w
21-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Oooh you've not done my trick and got it on 'mute' have you? its not really a mute, its just very quiet then it sound weird when you crank it right up?

Now if i could remember how to take it out of mute, then this would be a useful post! (looking again at it, probably the mute button :) )

if you email autoresponder (at) u-ukhbc.co.uk with the subject of radio then you should be emailed a radio manual!

Obviously put the @ sign in where appropriate, just dont want the spammers costing me bandwidth!

PW

old'uns
21-02-2007, 07:34 PM
thanks paul, other half's got student at moment who can read japanese i think. will get her to translate manual if poss, might be easier in english!

as they say though, pics are worth lots of words, first glance looks like i've messed up the bass, treble etc with audio mode button!