PDA

View Full Version : Replacement engine??

rob5110
18-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Bit of a long shot, I know, but the cam belt in my Beat went yesterday, wrecking the whole engine..

Honda garage have told me it's over a grand to fix it, so just exploring other options, such as putting a replacement engine in it or something.

Anyone got any ideas, or am I just going to have to sell it for spares?

Thanks in advance..

:(

Steve_M
18-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Do you know exactly whats damaged? bent valves only or has it damaged pistons as well.

If just valves worth rebuilding. also worth a complete strip to check bottom end as well, no point in putting back together if bearing are worn.

Although you will be looking at a hefty bill, especially if your paying a Honda dealer to do the work.

I think you will find it hard to find a replacement engine. You may be lucky but may have to wait a long time.

rob5110
22-01-2007, 06:53 PM
OK - thats kinda what I thought. I'll take it to another (non-honda) garage to have a look at, see if could do it at a decent cost.

Thanks for your help.
Ta
Rob

nobby
23-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Rob

I have just rebuilt a 1992 beat on a friends car that the cambelt broke and it bent the valves but did'nt damage the pistons or the valve giudes.
The parts from my local Honda dealer in Norwich were £670incl vat for a set of valves,head gasket set,head bolts,cambelt and tensioner wheel all the parts turned up in 2 days.
We did think of a engine but it ended up a real struggle finding one.

Hope this helps
Andy:)

nobby
23-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh yeh i forgot to add that even though getting the engine was a problem everyone seemed to be quoting around the £400-500 mark

nobby
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi Rob

Don't know how your getting on with the engine but try a guy at nippon auto spares called Matt on 01332293393
I tried him for a engine for my friends car before i decided to rebuild it,he phoned me a week ago saying he had managed to get a car in Japan:) he maybe able to help.
Andy

Midship
01-02-2007, 01:52 PM
If it turns out that you need a bottom end i have one complete, i may also have a few valves. Drop me a PM if interested

Cheers

rob5110
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
OK thanks for your advise everyone..
The Beat is still with a mechanic friend of mine, who should be letting me know what is going on tomorrow (hopefully...). I'll keep you posted.

thanks again
Rob