PDA

View Full Version : Piston Rings

Wh1teLeopard
21-11-2006, 07:23 PM
It's time to do the piston rings on my wee beast.

I plan to try and take as many pics as I can, and to try create a little bit of a guide on how we did it.

We're pretty confident of doing it, just wondered if anyone knew any 'and becareful of that bit it'll fall out' kind of thing specific to a beat lol

TADO
21-11-2006, 07:40 PM
hey emily
my car is finally going in to start an engine rebuild on monday and i was planning on doing the same thing with taking pics etc - it'll be good to compare notes and findings as we go along - from what i gather oversized pistons etc will be happening...:o

Steve_M
22-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Nothing horrid springs to mind, it is easier to drop the engine out to do. Just makes it easier putting the sump/bottom casing back on. (sealer goes on better) It can be done in situ with just head/bottom casing off, but easier with engine on bench.

A good bore hone and new rings is best (get rid of bore glaze) unless you have a bad step on bore at top, then perhaps rebore and over size pistons/rings.

Check the bearing shells closesly when apart as most ive stripped have had worn bearings, worth doing while apart. note: they are colour coded for size (7 differant sizes for both bigend and main shells)

HTH

Wh1teLeopard
22-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, most useful :)

We are going to drop the engine out of the bottom, both for ease and also for my fear of damaging the paint work lol

I am tempted to have the cylinders bored a little, but will probably make up my mind when it comes to it hee hee

Again, thanks for the advice, now all we've got to do is go rip the heart out of the poor devil

ozsamurai
24-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Can't wait to see the DIY on this one as its the first job I will tackle when my Beat arrives down under I have decided, and of course seeing White covered in oil could be fun too!!

Cheers

Oz

Steve_M
24-11-2006, 12:48 PM
A bit of work on the block and a good clean up can really look good.

This is how mine cleaned up

engine block (http://www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/Eng.jpg)

Wh1teLeopard
24-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Looks awesome :)

Might get bored and might colour code mine to go with the rest of the car lol... well someone might see it one day hee hee

And Oz, shame on you lol

adrianp
24-11-2006, 05:42 PM
and of course seeing White covered in oil could be fun too!!

Am I bad for thinking the same thing...;)

Wh1teLeopard
24-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Yes lol shame on both of you

Wh1teLeopard
07-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Just called up our local parts place who know me by name now lol All I said was "Hi, I'm looking for a price for some piston rings for a Honda beat" and he said "Is that Emily?" lol

Anyway, he asked if i needed oversized ones. I'm guessing this will depend on whether my cylinders are damaged.

Adam
08-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Have a look at the bores and see if they are shiny or not. If your getting oversized ones then you will also need oversized pistons. Like you said it all depends on on the block.

It might be a good idea to hone it and get it measured by an engineering company.

Wh1teLeopard
08-12-2006, 03:31 PM
The boyfriend is taking the block to work to use the workshop to hone it. So looks like I'll have to wait until then until I order the rings