PDA

View Full Version : A million questions from a newbie

Oktan
21-09-2006, 07:25 PM
As a new Beat owner I'll surely have a whole bunch of questions so instead of spamming the forum with new threads I'll just make a single thread for now.

First question...

Right side mirror: Will the ball-shaped plastic piece holding the mirror pop out of the socket if I force it or will it break? I need to get the mirror out of the way so I can get to the screws beneath, but I dare not apply more power without being sure it won't break.

Steve_M
21-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Thats a definate NO!!!!

there is a screw holding that together in the middle, you will just break the fixing.

you need to take the actual glass out to get to the screw, you will probably break it !!!

Paul w
21-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Yup,

Take a plastic tool (clay modeling tools are good) and very gently removed the trim from the glass, work your way around and the glass will ease out. Dont rush or you get 7 years bad luck!

PW

Oktan
23-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I got the glass out, thanks guys.

Question number two:

Can I fit a steering wheel from another Honda?

Paul w
24-09-2006, 05:38 PM
You'd probably be better off using mirror glass...unless it was a very shiny steering wheel......

;)

Oh, on the steering wheel...you should be able to fit an older civic wheel, but it would be huge!

Oktan
24-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Paul w
You'd probably be better off using mirror glass...unless it was a very shiny steering wheel......

;)

Oh, on the steering wheel...you should be able to fit an older civic wheel, but it would be huge!

;-)

I'm having trouble getting in and out of the car, the bottom of the steering wheel is in the way of my fat legs.

I know that a Civic steering wheel would probably be even larger, I just don't know which hub to get when ordering an aftermarket steering wheel.

Is it the EG (92-95) Civic wheel that fits?

Paul w
24-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Search for 'steering wheel boss' on here and wade through the hits, should find its common to a 91 prelude or something.

You could buy one of those wheels with a flat bit at the bottom, a la formula 1

PW

deathseeker
25-09-2006, 05:54 AM
...well i have better idea ..why dont u get ur fat asss in a gym ...and get slim ...then u should dirive this car ..orelse its no use of it

deathseeker
25-09-2006, 05:59 AM
..and btw no offence m8

Wh1teLeopard
25-09-2006, 07:04 AM
:rolleyes: Sounded very offensive to me.

anyway I believe from reading previous posts that the steering wheel hub is common with the 1991 civic.

Oktan
27-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Some threads mention Civic 91, some Prelude 91 others EG Civic (92-95). One thread says that EG Civic doesn't fit so well after all.

They all have different Momo part numbers:
4911 EG Civic 92-95
4903 Prelude 91
4905 Civic 91

I have a '91 and a '92 Civic so I could test-fit them both I guess, at least one of them should work.

Deathseeker:
Uhmm... none taken, but only because I'm 182cm, 70kg and kinda joking about my "fat" legs. I still feel the wheel is too big though.

Wh1teLeopard
27-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Do let us know the results of your test as I'm kean to buy a new wheel myself :)

TADO
27-09-2006, 07:55 PM
hi guys!
i just fitted a new wheel at the weekend - the boss you need is DEFINITELY the 4911 one :):)
it fits straight on with no hassles wot so ever. i think its a 92 civic one.
hth!
mike

Wh1teLeopard
27-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Excellent, thanks matey :D

Oktan
27-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Great, thanks!

steeno
09-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Hello BEATERS,
I just got a BEAT three days ago,
I don't know how to get the rear engine panel off, does the top have to be unscrewed around the bottom or is there some special way to do it....I can''t figure it out,
I just want to change oil, plugs and clean up around the engine,

any advise any of you seasoned pro's can share would be greatly appreciated,

many thanks
Steeno
Canada

steeno
09-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi
it's the newbie again
does anyone know what the large chrome BOLTS on the rear deck lid are for?

also I'm missing the rear top cover when the roof is down,
are there any available?

many thanks
Steeno
Canada

Wh1teLeopard
10-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Those chrome bolts look like they are for a rear luggage rack ;)

As for the panel over the engine, you need to unzip your rear window, then un do the 4 bolts that hold it down. Then lift it out through the back window. It might be a tight squeeze but you can do it.

For prolonged engine work (ie removing the head) I recommend undoing the roof as it also easier access. Takes about 10mins. However just to change the plugs it's not necessary.

:) Nice beat, like the wheels and exhaust

steeno
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Thank you for the reply
whiteleopard

Regards
Steeno

steeno
11-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Hello Whi1leopard,

Just checked out your Beatie site,
very cool, great shots,
I hope to fix mine up like your also

what after market parts are available,
such as roof cover for when top is down,
snaps that go around bottom of roof,
where did you get the front bumper

till next time

Regards
Steeno
Canada

Wh1teLeopard
11-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Thank you :)

The roof cover for when the top is down, as far as I know is like all the other parts of a beat. If you find one from a breaker then snap it up, however you could have one made by a company that specalise in making roofs or interiors for cars.

If you mean the popper screws on the bottom of the roof I know they are available from Honda here. Maybe worth trying to contact SteveM on here to see if he can get you some still.

The front bumper was from cozy lights in Japan :)

steeno
12-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Hello

I'm in need of a Distributor and router,
do you know where I can get them at a reasonable cost?

also do you know how the clutch should be set up,
I think mine may be a little 'SOFT' if shifts fine I'm just wondering

please email me at

steeno@hotmail.com

Many Thanx

Cris

Wh1teLeopard
12-10-2006, 07:02 AM
I would say ask honda for those parts... which is what I would do, but they aren't cheap!

As for clutch, have you checked your resevoir? Under the bonnet are 2 resevoirs if my memory serves me right. You need the smaller one. If that is low or empty as mine was, then it will effect your clutch.

steeno
12-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi
I asked today at my local Honda Dealer, they never saw a distributor like the one in the Beat and couldn't help me out

I will check the resivoir in the morning

at the moment I want to remove the four rear luggage bolts sticking out of the rear deck lid since I don't have a luggage rack and think it looks silly with just those four bolts sitting there

do you know where to get a gas door cover?

I"m also thinking of two toning the paint similar to yours except with black in the place of blue as in your case

so many idea's to trick it out.....
thank you

Cris

Wh1teLeopard
12-10-2006, 01:45 PM
If the bolts go through the boot then I recommend popping along to a bodyshop or an accident repair place same thing really. Then asking them to do it. As the holes will need to be filled in!