PDA

View Full Version : Got a beat!

JamesJT
02-09-2006, 07:09 PM
It's hayley's yellow one. Needs new hood and a good service. Once that's sorted out I will be wanting a project a chip. Can anyone help?

James

Wh1teLeopard
02-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Congratulations.

I got my hood from oxted, excellent service, good quality hood. £375 for mentioning the club :)

JamesJT
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Talked to nice lady at oxted today so roof 's going to be OK.

Been checking old posts, project a no longer available!

J

Wh1teLeopard
02-09-2006, 10:43 PM
There was chatter about replicating the chip but apparently that is illegal. I'm not sure on the techincal side of this sort of thing.

Maybe someone will let you know about that via the grape vine.

If you can come to the beat meet October 29th to talk to people see if anyone knows anything ;)

Paul w
03-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Theres a bit of discussion about whether copying an eeprom is illeagle. If the chip is no longer made then i suppose you are not depriving anyone of any cash.

Also if you were to change a few bytes on the chip then you could argue that the code is no longer the same.

The chances are that the chip was never copywrited as the one i recieved seemed a fairly 'amateur' job.

Copying an eeprom and sourcing the other chip is fairly straight forward and has been done....

I'd be interested to hear Oz's views on this

PW

JamesJT
03-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Anyone know the cheapest way to 80bhp without a chip?

Wh1teLeopard
03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I dont know to be honest. I guess the first step would be a straight through exhaust with no back box, as short as possible. Might add a few ponies.

The beat already is well tuned, with independant throttle bodies and good breathing. So I personally think the panel air filter it already has is best for it.

JamesJT
03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I think you're right. 97bhp per litre is pretty close to the limit without forced induction. I got my smart roadster upto 106bhp with no problems at all, (that's 150bhp per litre). I've seen a thread on a turbo charger kit. I'll go and read up.

Has anyone here pushed an engine too far? How much more than 64bhp can it make?

James

Wh1teLeopard
03-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I keep blowing exhaust valves in mine because I like the noise it makes at high revs ... d'oh

I got a chip, exhaust & funnels so I was rather hoping it would be near 70bhp. I will have to get it rolling roaded some time find out if they've made any difference.

JamesJT
03-09-2006, 03:30 PM
How much has that extra 6bhp cost?

Alternatively what can I take out? Spare wheel, passenger seat, I don't have a radio so I guess the speakers could go.

James

Wh1teLeopard
03-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Er? Exhaust was £300, chip £70 funnels £50.

Not forgetting the rebuilds at about £200 a time hee hee

Depends on how far you want to go. If you really want to loose weight then you need to consider the way the beat has been designed.

I don't have the metal plate that the spare wheel fixes on to and that means my suspension at the front is higher as a result. I haven't noticed a change in driving, but it's all worth considering.

JamesJT
03-09-2006, 03:50 PM
The smart always handled better with 25Kg of cement in the front boot.

I can't think of anything in the back that could be considered unnecessary.

Paul w
03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I seem to remember someone Dyno'd a chipped beat and found it had no improvement in BHP.

From experience though, it does change the way the beat drives. A bit more torque at bottom end, and more flexibility through the gears.

You could overbore to 700cc and put high lift cams in, i think someone on here has done it.

(ooh should we have a 'what i have done to my beat' post, where everyone gets one post about their car to update as they mod?)

PW

Wh1teLeopard
04-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Could do but mine isn't finished yet ;)

We weren't sure about boring it out as the water jacket is ever so close

Beatproducts
04-09-2006, 10:19 PM
I keep reving the nuts off mine with that Chip in the ECU it seems to sing like a bird, still got valves at the moments :)

Put on a home made induction kit seems to help will send pics :)

Put on striaght through exhaust with little restriction and all I got was busted ears and loss of performance !!!

To get some good HP gains I was told by an old racer to loose some wieght off the fly wheel, but this will upset the idle !!!

If I did not have a wife and two bin lids I might get some time and funds to extract some serious BHP I have enough spare engines to blow up a few :)

JamesJT
05-09-2006, 12:04 AM
What are funnels?

I may need a new exhaust anyway. Can anyone recommend a good one that's still available?

Feel's have loads of beat parts on their web site and there's an English translation available but if you try to order anything it all turns Japanese. Has anybody been able to get any feel's stuff?

Where could I get stiffer springs from?

I've got a lot of catching up to do.

James

Paul w
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Exhausts - i loved the one i got imported from Japan (thanks to Oz)

Its an FGK Legalis and made a lovely (but not too loud) sound.

I think it cost around £400 to buy it and ship it.

PW

JamesJT
05-09-2006, 01:34 PM
That does look nice.

Do they quote any expected performance gains?

Does it way more or less than origonal?

James

Paul w
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I imagine it weighs about the same.

I doubt it gives any significan improvement in performance, as the feed is a single pipe still. I dont think the standard back box would hold the engine back much, i dont think honda were thinking like that when they made the beat.

PW

JamesJT
05-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I've started talking to Kenzo from hyeline. They have loads of bits for the beat including chips, exhaust, induction & suspension.

Has anybody used hyeline?

James

Wh1teLeopard
05-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I haven't.

If they do lowered suspension (30mm or so) please let me know i'd be very interested in that. ;)

JamesJT
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Should be careful, I got told off on one website 'cos they thought I was advertising.

I'll see what he comes back with and send you a PM. Unless I'm allowed to post it here, Paul W?

James

TADO
05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
wow! they have some really fun cars on that site. love the wheels on the red beat!
id be very interested to know how dealing with them was as well - exhaust and suspension are both on my list of things to do.

JamesJT
05-09-2006, 02:46 PM
We should get together and bulk order, get a discount...Or would we all be fighting over the last set of new honda beat lowering springs ever made.

If I keep using the website this much I'm going to have to make a donation....

James

Paul w
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
James - Recommending a company isnt a problem.

If you work for them let us know and we can sort out a fee! (probably 10% off for beat owners!)

PW

Bruce
11-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Hmm... I did like the look of that FGK Legalis exhaust, Paul W. Is it stainless steel? Can it still be found? Alternatively, is it still possible to find the Mugen exhaust? How much?

I don't really want to be caught out with an exhaust that starts blowing, with its replacement on a ship half a world away, so might consider a preemptive order. Particuarly if I can team up with some of you guys.

B

Paul w
12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Yep, all stainless

Went a lovely blue/rainbow colour when it got hot!

PW

steeno
12-10-2006, 08:00 AM
what is the CHIP you all mention
and what is BHP and can it make a difference in performance,
did someone say that removing the spare and replacing with a heavy object improved handling...would consume more fuel

Canadian Beater

mathis
13-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi everyone, I been off this site for a while as was very busy at work along with everything else..... just been catching up with all the new threads.

1st, I just found out there's gonna be a meet on the 29th this month!!! Sadly, I have just declared my Beat off road......

2ndly, about the project A chip issue... as with mine, I have got an HKS speed delimiter fitted on and it does the job pretty well.... and they are still available on Japhoo Auction. If you get onto auctions.yahoo.co.jp and search for 'HKS SLD' you will see alot on the market still at around £60 a piece. Aparently this will improve the performance at high rev/speed as well... but for people who just want to get the speed limiter off than can just change speedo from Kmph to Mph speedo, the change will delimit the car as well.... 2 birds 1 stone. That's how it was done on my FTO and it works fine as well.

3rd and lastly...... with ozsamurai being back in OZ.... is there anyone else we can contact for purchasing goods from Japhoo Auction+sorting out shipping? As I would like to purchase these set of bodykit but my mate in Japan don't know if he can ship it over..... either by air or sea...... any suggestions?? Thanks