PDA

View Full Version : Beat .... the rust.

LEE.W.
03-08-2006, 12:54 PM
:eek: This was the state of my rear quarter sills on both sides before i made and welded new plates. Sorry no shots of fix but suffice to say theres no rust now and completely treated and undersealed. Two days work total.

LEE.W.
03-08-2006, 01:05 PM
And heres how to get at the underneath . Beleive it or not this is totally safe.

Paul w
03-08-2006, 01:22 PM
That is something else!!

Did you make it yourself??

PW

Midship
03-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Ha ha great Pic! :D

Wh1teLeopard
03-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Brilliant picture, I couldn't figure out why you could see the floor in the first one.

Can't be any worse than the drivers at the raceway who suspend their cars on the hiab's then work on them underneath... silly fools. Or the ones that just roll the cars over onto their sides when they get told of for using the hiabs :D

deathseeker
04-08-2006, 11:09 PM
woow .......

ozsamurai
05-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Lee,

Thats great!! I have to know how you do this, you think you could give us some details on the rig setup?

Cheers

Oz

LEE.W.
07-08-2006, 10:01 PM
:) Apologies for the delay in answering your questions, work seems to be getting in the way these past few days.
This is a vehicle tilter bought for £400 from a uk car show where they were tilting 2 ton cars all day long. Money well spent as its a one man/women operation,takes 45 mins to set up (once you,ve done it afew times),operates via a 6ft long leadscrew with drill attached to pull the front right hub up in the air (as your looking at pic).
As you can see the rear right wheel is still on and not needed in the lifting process to tilt the right side.The left side hub and two
fronts have a fixed and bolted attachment via the 4 studs .
The front is joined together, and as you start the drill the whole car tilts on its axis via what is basically two pieces of scaffold tube to balance/tilt on.

:confused:
Reverse the system set up to tilt the other side.Kit comes with 4 or 5 stud attachments.
A german firm sold me this particular unit and the name Technik is on some instructions.Very vague i.know but there are uk tilter companys selling their version.

Bruce
07-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Hmm. No doubt this is OK for most cars, but the Beat is not like most cars...

I am a little concerned by the device only supporting the front axle line, as the Beat is mid-engined, so has 57% of its mass over the rear tyres. This means that the COG could be dangerously close to the pivot axis between the right rear and the left front. So be very careful not to knock the rear of the car, or set it up on a sloped surface etc.

And don't try putting a Lotus Elise on it - I think it has 66% on the rear, which is pretty crazy if you ask me.

B

LEE.W.
14-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Setting up this system on slopes or gradients is not advisable (common sense would hopefully prevail).
As for the stability the unit has twin tubed heavy duty scaffold tubes in an arch under BOTH rear and front axle lines. Can lift any type of car mid or front engined with any weight distribution no probelem.Axle stands under the cross piece between the tubes are advised if leaving the car tilted overnight.I use mats and two blocks of wood under the tubes to get more control over the tilt.Note : drain screen wash/engine oil and any fluids you think would leak.
Hope this helps any of you considering buying one of these.:)

Bruce
14-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Ah, both axles. That should be OK then. Your earlier comment about the rear tyre was misunderstood.

B