PDA

View Full Version : Seats and ECU stuff

TADO
03-08-2006, 10:41 AM
hi guys
i was wondering if anyone has had experience of fitting different seats into the beat? my drivers one is looking a bit beaten up! :)
i was thinking something simple like the corbeau forzas or similar. ive seen pics of beats with recaro etc but wasnt sure if any special bits were fabricated to get them in? any tips would be hugely appreciated!

also.. i just got hold of a new set of condensors for my ECU and wondered who / what kind of company i should look up in the yellow pages to fit them for me? i certainly wouldnt trust myself to tamper with it!

thanks a lot!
mike

Paul w
03-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I'll do 'em for you,

Done quite a few so far.

£20 donation to the beat site sound reasonable plus P&P?

(want it chipping while i'm at it?)

PW

TADO
03-08-2006, 01:29 PM
hey paul!
that sounds great! ill drop you a pm!
thanks a lot
mike

john m
03-08-2006, 01:36 PM
When you find a set of seats that fit can you post details on them? Its a tight squeeze and you might find it tough to get seats that fit. Also if you fit a base frame can you give its details too?

Thanks.

TADO
03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
hi john!
a friend of ours is an MG tinkerer/racer and he seems confident that he should be able to fit some seats in, but he said he might have to fabricate some frame for them.
i was hoping someone on here might have some experience about ones that might retro-fit - i'll deffo keep you posted with the investigations! my drivers seat looks a bit like some wild dogs have been for a joy ride! :D

john m
03-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Mine is a little tatty too, I would love to fit some black leather ones or a good bucket seat with lots of comfy padding, not one of those fixed back ones that would kill on a long trip. I have had back surgery and I need the padding for lumbar support and the fixed back ones are terrible in that respect.

Wh1teLeopard
03-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Maybe measure it up and drop an e-mail to demon tweeks... I bet they could recommend something.

Tis what I am going to do when I get around to it hee hee

Then I'll have them retrimmed in leather if they don't come in leather anyway :D

TADO
04-08-2006, 01:09 PM
thanks for the tip off about demon tweaks - ill get the tape measure out over the weekend and see wots wot!

just ordered a new main relay to put in when its ECU time after hanging around outside the post office for 15 mins yesterday!

ozsamurai
05-08-2006, 12:05 AM
might find some info here

http://members.lycos.co.uk/ozsamurai/OEMParts/BeatSeats.htm

Oz

TADO
05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
thanks oz! both the sparco and cobra ones look really nice - good prices too! would both of these seats mount ok onto the existing frames with a bit of fiddling or would i need to get the universal mounts?
cheers!
many-questions-mike :)

ozsamurai
06-08-2006, 01:02 PM
To be honest I have seen both mounts done on these seats (genuine and aftermarket) especially the Sparco, depends on the budget really. The Sparco however are cheap for a reason, as they are pretty rough on the rear end being light on padding, look good but wouldn't want to be doing too many miles in them. Not only the wheels are odd sizes either, Seat dimensions are odd too, so whichever aftermarket set you get you have the choice of having space left over on one side or breaking one of the upper bolsters to close the driver door, one guy around these parts fitted some Civic Type R Seats to his and decided to take a chunk out of the door lining to make them fit!!.....thank Honda again for making life difficult!! Personally I would prefer to have the genuines covered again in leather and thats the direction I will go as soon as I can find a good marine upholster as they have to be pretty waterproof seeing as most Beats leak like a seive. Gotta love 'em!!!

Good Luck in your quest

Cheers

Oz

TADO
14-10-2006, 09:58 AM
hey oz!
sorry to pull this thread back up, but i was wondering if i could pick your brain about seats again.
im ready to get some now, and i really like the cobra clubman ones. i saw on your site that the clubmans can fit both passenger side and drivers?

i just wanted to check before i went ahead and got some, is it the older style ones (like the black ones here) or the newer style ones (blue ones) that fit?

the width stated is 500mm for the base and 510mm for the shoulders.

as always any advice would be hugely appreciated!
cheers!
mike

http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/22/f8/92_1_b.JPG

http://www.sportseats4u.com/gfx/Interior%20Styling/Cobra/Clubman.jpg

chalky
31-10-2006, 09:01 AM
HI sorry to jump on the band wagon but could you chip mine.

marge602
31-10-2006, 07:40 PM
That reminds me. Does anyone know why the Beat is assymetric? I only found out when i took the mats out to hoover them, and put them together. Then i worked out the centre console is visibly offset when looked at from the outside(being stood in front of the car). The seats seem to be the same size though. It must be something to do with the engine/gearbox location. What a design quirk. Nearly as good as the original Renault 5 having two different wheelbase lengths cos of the pair of rear torsion bars. Brilliant!

Regards

Marge

LawrenceHarding
03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
You couldn't fit the seat back adjuster for the driver's side if it wasn't.

marge602
05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Very true, but i can't imagine Honda made one side of the car wider than the other just to adjust the seat. The Beat is such a fascinating car that i'd love to know why certain things are like they are, but may not ever find them out.

Regards

Marge

PS. Brrrrrr...it's cold!

TADO
05-11-2006, 10:31 AM
we discovered the joys of driving with the hood down, and heater on full blast yesterday! brrrrr!!! :D

TADO
24-03-2007, 09:51 AM
just thought id update this thread about seats with another suitable seat. after much measuring and checking and umming and ahh-ing ive ordered some cobra roadster 7 seats for my car. i went for the 'rock' fabric rather than the leather in the pic as it seemed to suit the beat better and have gone for the optional harness holes in the headrest. shape, style and size-wise theyre almost identical to the original passenger seat.
theyre coming direct from cobra who were very helpful!

they should be here this week at some point so ill update then. we'll need to make some brackets to fit them to the existing rails so will post a how to with a template if needed. hopefully the measurements might be the same for different seats too.