PDA

View Full Version : Small job now, big job later

Adam
26-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I've noticed that a lot of beats seem to suffer from rust at the bottom where the quater panel ends.

Usually its a small thing but once it starts spreading it becomes a problem.

Its quite cheap to buy rust remedy and a bit of paint and do some patch work before its too late.

Ive just under sealed the whole car and fixed all rust for really small money and I would really recommend this.

Adam
26-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Adam
26-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Also rear arches

Adam
26-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Arch done

Adam
26-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Nearly there

Wh1teLeopard
28-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Looks really nice though now :D

Good work... want to come do mine? ;)

Adam
28-05-2006, 01:13 PM
If you got any at the moment I'd recommend you get something like KRUST made by hamorite and it takes only a few minutes to apply. It will change the rust to black and seal it. Its only temporary but better then letting it go on.

Steve_M
28-05-2006, 02:55 PM
If the rust has gone quite deep, its best to cut away the corroded metal and weld in a new piece with a mig welder.

When I did my yellow project beat, I had cut away the drivers side rear quarter panel and found the rust had eaten in to the inner sill behind, so cut a piece out of that and welded in new metal.

None of the rust eaters/converter work that well, but to cut it out and get rid. IMHO

Adam
28-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Thats the big job later part I was talking about.

But yeah I agree if its bad like mine then you need to get cutting.

LEE.W.
28-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Hiya , i've just finished repairing my beats n/side rear quarter panel. luckily the rust hadnt eaten into the inner sill so like you i ground off the outer panel about two inches high above the rear wheel arch (where all the road crud sits in between the two),welded a plate in ,fibre glass fill ,then small amount of filler then etch primer.one can of red colour coded spray later and alot of polishing and doesnt look to bad even if i say so myself.
Major surgery for those blasted sills underneath near the rear wheels in mid july plus total underseal and waxoil.
If your reading this and and dont want to tackle it yourself try asking yor local garage about a rust prevention treatment they can give your Beat. If your keen on keeping your Beat for some time this will save u money.Ltr:)