PDA

View Full Version : engine problems

Ruschie
13-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Anyone suggestions would be great.

Last week my lil beat made a pop noise, the revs were all over the shop then it died. It started up again ok but bounced along and died again. Then it wouldn't turn over like the battery was flat. So when the battery was checked it was at 12.6V and went down from there.

So the battery was 6 years old so I got and new one and all problems fixed!!

Until now, one week later same thing. Except it tries to start but wont. (not like a flat battery.) Turned on it idels ok for about 2 min then dies.??????

Now while the car is on the battery is about 13- 14V and back to 12.6 when off.

My questions are, does the car have an auto cut off for the fuel pump when the battery is low?
Was thinking it is possibly the alternator?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Wh1teLeopard
14-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Sounds like the alternator to me, but as i've said before I'm not an expert!!!

Ruschie
16-05-2006, 08:37 AM
It's fixed!!!
First we replaced the fuel fillter, it was dirty but not too bad - No change.
Then we decided it was the coil pack n other bit as it was over heating a lot. (the coil pack that is) Replaced both those - No Change!
So I took Oz advice and pulled out the relay and resolered a few bit's that didn't look in need of it - It now runs fine (Fingers crossed) So after all the poking around that's all it was.

So now I am thinking i should replace the relay just to be sure.

Any suggestions on relays? Place, price? Second hand, is it worth it?

Ruschie
26-09-2006, 02:30 AM
It's been a while but my problem was only fixed short term. The car kept cutting out. So while it was getting fixed (someone crashed into it) I had 3 months to get a new relay. And since I put it in it hasn't cut out once!
I must say that I didn't believe at first that it could be fixed that simply! And all for only $60.

Oktan
27-09-2006, 06:20 PM
It's the main relay, right? That's a problem for Civics and Accords too but re-soldering ALWAYS fixes it.

Ruschie
27-09-2006, 11:51 PM
We did that and it worked for short time. And it looked fine too, so it's a mystery to me but it's fixed now, that's all I care bout!!