PDA

View Full Version : HELP. What is this?

mathis
09-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Can anyone help me to identify this device installed in my Beat? I bought the Beat last Sept but never knew what it is, neither does the previous owner... I have tried to route the wire from the switch to see where it leads to but got nowhere...

Basically it is has a lever switch with an LED next to it positioned where the cigarette lighter normally is (left to the steering column)(shown in photo 1). If you pluck the switch down the LED goes green, and up goes red... if it's in the middle then no LED at all.

I took the bottom section of the steerring column apart and routed the wire through and found that it is connected to a device placed / hiden under the center console behind the radio (shown in photo 2) or 2 device shall I say as they are taped together with electrical tape. The device then have 2 chunckier black wires going back through the centre bit where the gear knob and hand brake is... This is where I got stuck, as I couldn't route it further without knowing how to take the hand brake bit apart... the connectors to the E-windows are stuck to it...

I am not sure where it goes it but suspect it is going to either to the ECU or the engine bay as there aren't anymore electrical stuff behind there, I haven't got the sub-woofer or CD changer..... on the device it has a sticker saying "For S**** ****d Service" (shown in photo 3) then have some numbers on it.... I tried to rip the tape out and see what it says but the tape got stuck down too long and ripped the sticker so I couldn't see the words it covered up....

Hope some of you know what it is and let me know, as it is bugging me with a switch that seems to do nothing apart from turning the LED from off to red or to green....

Sorry for the long tread.
Thanks!!!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/elsie.fok/mathis/c.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/elsie.fok/mathis/a.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/elsie.fok/mathis/b.jpg

MajorTom
09-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Maybe an alarm with remote doorlocks/windows ? because if it's wired to the windows then it might pull the window up if armed. Also the switch could be for turning it off/on/semi-on I mean if the roof is down then it only triggers the immobilizer and door sensors.

Just an idea!

Tom

mathis
09-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks tom, the device is not attached to the window switches... I just see the wires going through the middle section. Regarding to the alarm, I don't have micro sensors on the inside.... it's only a basic Laserline one where it sounds when the doors are opened withour dis-arming... immoboliser is of a different make (Clifford virtual key)....

Adam
10-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Try cutting the wires to see if anything happens or doesn't happen I should say. The other thing you could do is take it apart and look for any serial numbers on IC chips etc.. and google them.

Or keep following the wire till you get somewhere, it might be going to the ECU as its behind the passager seat!

ozsamurai
10-04-2006, 12:02 PM
At least I think I figured our the letters, took me all day...

For Sales and Service and the number below is a phone number, or the end of one I would suppose. As to what it is, I think its a part from The Tardis used to time warp.... its been a long day!!

Cheers

Oz

mathis
10-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks OZ and Adam. So.... OZ, what exactlt are you suggesting it does? When I have more time, I will try routing the wires further to see where it is connected to exactly.... It just bugs me!! p(>. <")q