PDA

View Full Version : Fast Idle Thermo Valve?

Wh1teLeopard
16-03-2006, 11:37 PM
A lovely person on the HondaRevolutions forum suggested my beat may keep trying to stall because of a 'Fast Idle Thermo Valve' ? We've singled out everything else, so do beat's have a Fast Idle Thermo Valve?

If it only does it when it's cold, there must be a seperate unit that controls the idle before the engine is at normal operating temp.

On a lude, this is the FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve). Controls the idle when the engine's cold.

I've bypassed mine and it's sounds very similar to what you're experiencing. When started up from cold, revs would rise up then dive down almost stalling (when it's really cold, it stalls), then slowly rise back up to fast idle (1.4k rpm). Although when a load is applied i.e. steering or braking (junctions, sound familiar? Wink) it will try and stall.

If they do, where are they? How do I adjust it? What should it be set to?

My oil light has started coming on when it tries to stall. :(

So would like to stop it trying to stall when it's cold asap.

MajorTom
17-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Just a thought. Could it be the project A chip ? I myself experience a bit rough idle since I installed it but only in cold weather AND when the engine is cold after 2-5 minutes as the engine gets wormer it's gone. I had the same problem with my CRX after a chip installation and it only matters in the winter otherwise it's fine. Just thought I share this with you but I know nothing about a FITV...

Tom

Wh1teLeopard
17-03-2006, 03:10 PM
You know I never even considered that! Ohhh that's something to think about.

Thanks for that. :)

tinytim
17-03-2006, 06:10 PM
If you pop to the "how to" thread setting the idle is in there.

Did either of you guys adjust the timing after fitting the project A chip?
I fitted the chip in the summer so didn't really experience cold cold but I couldn't get a steady 1200rpm so I re-did the timing and all fell in place perfectly. You need to check the timing before doing the idle anyway.

Wh1teLeopard
17-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I've told you before :p We set the timing with the pulse/strobe gun thingy, and set the idle valve.

Can't see what else is causing it.