PDA

View Full Version : beat tow bar?

mr butter
25-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I know this might sound stupid, but does anyone know if its possible to get a tow bar for a Beat? I'm looking to buy a Beat as soon as I can find a decent one, and a towbar would solve a small (very light!!) occasional towing need......

Regards

Butter

tinytim
26-01-2006, 10:37 PM
There's nothing to attach it to!

There are 2 subframe struts that extend to the rear and you would need a substantial frame fixed between these to attach the ball hitch. For simplicity I would say cutting a hole in the bumper will be the easiest way of positioning the ball.

Probably not too difficult but I would venture that it wouldn't be legal, there is no towed weight given on the vehicle specs so when towing you won't be insured,,,,in my opinion.

adrianp
27-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Hi Mr B,

Yep it is possible to fit a tow bar to the subframe struts as it has already been done by someone in the club (Can't remember who though). (EDIT: Just looked and it was Terry Collier, but I don't think he's on the forum)

(I think) they fitted it with a removable neck so that most of the time it just looked like a normal Beat.

BUT, like tinytim says, since the car isn't rated to tow (nor is the MGF which is based on the beat) then I don't know how you would get on roadworthy wise with the insurance company if anything happened.

Hope this helps

Ady.

mr butter
27-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the info, thats encouraging! I occasionally need to tow a motorbike, so a light trailer (about 150kg loaded) is all we are talking about (and I've got a friend who weighs that much!!). Its just so I wont have to rely on borrowing vehicles. Dont suppose anyone has Terry's contact details - dont worry if its not handy, I will ask again if I have any problems working this out, sounds relatively straightforward in principle (it always does!!!!).

Regards

Butter :)