PDA

View Full Version : clutch adjustment

adrianp
21-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi guys,

My turn for a question now...

The bite point on my clutch has suddenly changed... :help:

Last week it was roughly 1/2 way up the pedal travel but now it's right at the bottom and I've hardly got to lift my foot up before it's engaging...:confused:

I haven't looked at anything yet, but does anyone have any ideas???

I don't think it's the clutch itself as it's not slipping or anything as far as I can see. (done the 2nd hand car test of lifting the clutch in 3rd with the brakes on and it stalls pretty much instantly)

Ta

Ady.

Adam
21-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Adrian,

The clutch is hydraulic so there is no adjustment but I had the same problem before.

In my case the seal on the cylinder went. It ment a little rebuild that took about 10 minutes.

If its the same thing you can get the seal from honda for around a pound, as they use it in other models like accord etc.

LEE.W.
22-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi, this sudden change in clutch biting point is usually due to a loss of clutch hydralic fluid,which can leak as adam (guru) says at the master cylinder seal as a first point of reference.Then inspect all clutch pipe work for any obvious leaks.
If there are no signs of clutch fluid anywhere try bleeding system of air keeping the clutch fluid resevoir to max.This should get your biting point back to normal and then will be a matter of time (how fast the leak is) as to when the biting point is starting to move again.
Other beat fans might be able to help as to if and where there is a bleed nipple on the clutch?
This is just one possible solution,there are others.

Steve_M
22-12-2005, 01:09 PM
There is no adjustment.

poss Hydralic problems, does the pedal feel slack when it at the top?? can you feel it engage part way down. check fluid level and for any obvious leak (e.g at gearbox/slave cylinder) pipework, or under dash by pedal.

HTH

Adam
22-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Steve_M
There is no adjustment.

poss Hydralic problems, does the pedal feel slack when it at the top?? can you feel it engage part way down. check fluid level and for any obvious leak (e.g at gearbox/slave cylinder) pipework, or under dash by pedal.

HTH

Did you read the two posts before Steve??? Its like an echo in here!

I just had to say it.

Anyhow the bleeding nipple is on the master the master cylinder(which is on the top of the gearbox).

adrianp
22-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Ta for the replies, looks like I'll be busy investigating over xmas...

If it is the seals Steve, could you get them for me and post them over??? Obviously, I'd send you the money before you got them although if they are as cheap as it looks I doubt if it matters which way around we did it...lol

Adam, I gather it's a pretty straight forward job to replace??? I can do a lot of things with a spanner but have little experience doing things with fluids...

Ta

Ady.

Adam
23-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Like Lee and Steve said check out where the leak is and then if it is that, I'll write up a how to.

adam

tinytim
24-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Adam,

Its like an echo in here!
then

Anyhow the bleeding nipple is on the master the master cylinder(which is on the top of the gearbox).

Is that the same echo?
:D

Couldn't resist

Adam
25-12-2005, 01:06 AM
IT IS... It Is.... it is.........:)