PDA

View Full Version : Tick over

Wh1teLeopard
24-11-2005, 10:54 AM
My tick over seems to be a little low, when I come to stop on a hill it's too low to cope with the brake light being on at the same time.

Phil said it's electronic, so if I reset the ECU then start the car with all the lights on, heaters and brake light would that help???

Many thanks people...

Adam
24-11-2005, 12:35 PM
2 things:

1. Timing

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66&highlight=timing

or

2. Set idle

Wh1teLeopard
24-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Phil used a Timing light so can't see it being that... how do you set the idle?

MajorTom
24-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I would check the battery/alternator as well. I had the same problem on my CRX and it turned out to be the alternator.

Tom

adrianp
24-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Here you go...

I knew Steve M had posted a guide to doing this...:D

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well poss just a base idle setting is needed, worth a go.

But you could really do with using a decent RPM meter, as the cars one is not that accurate really.

1) With the engine warmed up, remove the plug from the EACV (idle valve) (2 pin plug on the long tube like valve on top of the inlet manifold)

2) Set the idle speed to 850 rpm using the screw which is under the black rubber grommet. (also on top of the inlet manifold at the end of the EACV)

3) Once set, turn off engine, reconnect 2 pin plug to EACV, remove the 7.5A ECU fuse from the engine bay fuse box for 10 secs + to clear engine codes.

4) Restart engine, idle speed should be 1200 rpm

HTH

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps

Ady.

Wh1teLeopard
24-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Many thanks for the replies :D Will try them both at the weekend...

the tick over does seem to vary... when you start the car it sits at 1,200. But if you rev it, come to a stop etc it drops to 800 and verges on stalling.

adrianp
24-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I'd give Steves method a go, it sounds like the idle was set up before it had warmed up properly.

If it's idling @ 1200 when cold then dropping when warmed up then it will more likely be due to the cold start turning itself off like it should once the car has got towards operating temp.

Ady.

Midship
24-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Agree with the above... I rekon the idle needs adjusting.

Originally posted by MajorTom
I would check the battery/alternator as well. I had the same problem on my CRX and it turned out to be the alternator.

Tom

Cheers for the tip Tom! my crx has a tick over problem so ill start by checking that!

Is it just me or is there a lot of beat owners who have/had crx`s.. off the top of my head there Steve, Phil, MajorTom and of course me now! any one else have one?

Got me a Glass Toped SI import.. gotta say I Love it. Believe it or not it the cappuccino can keep up though! My mate and I had them side by side when i went to collect it. Fair enough the crx took it after 60mph but up till then it was fairly close!

Sorry for hi jacking the tread..

:rolleyes:

MajorTom
24-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Midship: CRX was my first car (1992 1.6i16v) and my second as well (1992 1.6i-vt). I loved them both and they're good fun, altough FF is totally different world from MR. For the fun factor I prefer the Beat now :) But the CRX had less compromise in it. It's a normal car afterall :)

Btw. I just mentioned the battery/alternator problem because my alternators died on both crxs and caused same simptoms with many electirc equipments on altough you can't be sure as after abusing the CRX and coming to a full stop at a streelight it did idled erraticly. Almost stalling. Some mechanics told me maybe it has to do something with oil pressure or something. This never happened in my Prelude (2.2vt) so I thought it was the b16a1/d16z7's common fault or something.
Sorry about the long post.

Tom

Paul w
25-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Hehe...

I had...

White Mk2 Crx (1600 in old, non glass tailgate body) It was a nightmare to get parts for as it was only made for 6 months.
Silver Mk3 (H plate i think) Non Vtec
White ESI convertible (which was bought off me by evette fielding!
Then moved to a VTI civic...what a motor!

(plus a prelude 4ws, Civic type R, 3 CR-Vs)

I kinda like hondas!

PW

STEVE BARNES
25-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi
When I had owned my Beat for 2 days the ecu light came on and car was very lumpy.After "repairs" the car still ran rough but tickover was very low. ( Gave up on garage and decided to join Beat club for proper help)
All they had done was cut the wiring to the EACV under the sheathing so you couldnt see it,when Ireconnected the wires tickover went back to normal.With the engine running ,try disconnecting the 2 pin EACV connector,if revs do not change this could be faulty.
STEVE

Wh1teLeopard
25-11-2005, 07:45 PM
All sugestions appreciated. Beatie's going for his MOT tomorrow, so when he gets back I'll try a few things out :)

Wh1teLeopard
29-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the advice finally got round to asking the BF to do it for me...

and it worked :D

Thank you all that helped ;)