PDA

View Full Version : replace clutch

compfranon
02-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi,
A good mate of mine has purchased a Honda Beat, judging by the noise on gear changes he needs to replace the clutch. Being the good mate that I am and having done all his vehicle maintenance over the years he thought he'd challenge me by buying the beat. So, I need to find out how to replace the clutch, any kind soul have info, diags, or access to a manual (english) that I can use.

thanks

Compfranon

Adam
03-11-2005, 12:53 AM
To take the gearbox out you got to remove a lot of things:

Back bumper
Exhaust heat sheald
Exhaust
Cross member
4 suspension arms
2 mounts
starter
linkage

I think thats about it, then its quite straight forward. You don't really need any english books, well there isn't any.

Clutch will cost around 160 euro or so, whatever that is in sterling.
Good luck

compfranon
03-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks Adam for your reply, I haven't really had a look at the task yet, but it sounds a bit daunting ...... perhaps it won't be that bad.

Any special tools required ?

regards

Ian

tinytim
03-11-2005, 07:59 PM
It's one of the easiest clutch changes I've had to do. Apart from having to remove the bumber and sub-frame cross member and suspension arms it's fairly straight forward. The clutch cylinder can be a bit awkward to put back on but other than that there shouldn't be a problem.

Getting it up is a bit unusual, I jacked it up using the centre of the rear crossmember (the one you'll have to remove) then put an axle stand in at each of the side jacking points.
Remove the rear bumber (there are a couple of screws behind the little inserts in the bumper and the "Screws" under the lip of the boot lid are like rawl plugs (unscrew the centre then pull the whole thing out))

Look at where the suspension arms connect to the cross member. One arm on each side has a cam located between a couple of guides, note the position of the cam as this is the rear wheel tracking. Undo the bolts and withdraw then undo the cross member bolts. Then it's a case of looking to see what needs to come off cos I can't remember:confused: The slave cylinder and a couple of elec connectors on top. To withdraw the drive shafts I just had someone pull the wheel station out while I supported the shaft so as not to damage the seals. NOT IDEAL and if you go for this method make damn sure the axle stands are firm. (It's only a 750kg car but it will still give you a headache if it lands on you:suicide: )

Undo the bell housing bolts, remove the starter motor (the bolts do go both ways ie some bell housing to engine and some engine to bell housing. and that's about it. The gear box is a one man lift but if your the one lifting from underneath it's probably worth taking the weight on a jack.

I used a drill bit that fitted the spigot brg and wrapped insulating tape to bring it up to the clutch plate spline size to align the clutch (it went in first time:D )

A bit of advice... do the release bearing anyway, it's not expensive.

ENJOY

compfranon
03-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Excellent, what more advice could I possibly ask for. Looks like the mate is going to owe me a few pints for this one, better still he's going to help.

I've a couple of cracking tall axle stands, I recon we could grab an end each and lift the car on to them ;)

Ok, it's time to print your info and get ready for the weekend.

Thanks again

Ian

Adam
03-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Tiny is right there is nothing to it, it is quite easy try a clutch on an alfa 156 or a renault kangoo and you would find a few things to complain :)

compfranon
03-11-2005, 09:28 PM
worst one i ever did was a fiat mirafiori 131, one bolt needed about 3 socket extension bars and 2 knuckle joints with a small hand aligning via the gear stick aperture.

lets hope this ones much better

a.t.b.

Ian

Adam
03-11-2005, 09:51 PM
If I can find some pictures I'll post them. It might help

compfranon
03-11-2005, 10:01 PM
spot on - pics paint a thousand words. Rang him to tell him i've got info, but the weather here is pretty wet and no garage, so looks like next dry weekend.

Mate has already bought the full clutch kit, dont know where from, is there a good source you could reccommend for the roof