PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer with general curiousity! :)

MajorTom
14-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi there!

I found this website about a year ago when I moved to the UK and found the Beat interesting :) I always had Hondas (CRX ED9, EF8, Prelude BB1 VTEC, JAZZ GD1).

After a Year now cycling in Cambridge actually I'm thinking of buying a beat maybe in a few months...

I have some general questions like:

How's the handling of the beat compared to a 2nd gen CRX for instance.

How's acceleration ?

Any mods that worth doing (suspension/brakes/engine/i/h/e/ecu)?

How about parts? How hard is it to get parts for the beat?

Most importatnly anyone living in the Cambridge area who'd let me have a closer look and possibly get a ride in a Beat. I've never seen one in life and actually I'm really excited about it :)

I have to admit that I tried it Gran Turismo 4 :) It was a fun to drive the beat altough it's not the real thing.

Thanks to all,

Tom

MajorTom
15-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Maybe I'm a n00b but someone please reply ! :) I'm desperate ! :)

Cheers,
Tom

Paul w
16-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Hey tom.,

How's the handling of the beat compared to a 2nd gen CRX for instance. ---- Much much better (i've had crx's since the 16v 1.6 in the mk1 body and they are jelly moulds compared with a beat....its a go kart!

How's acceleration ? erm...0-60 in around 10s but it feels much faster

Any mods that worth doing (suspension/brakes/engine/i/h/e/ecu)? chipping!!! about 70 quid changes the car

How about parts? How hard is it to get parts for the beat? pretty much anything can be ordered through this site!

PW

MajorTom
16-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the answer, you kinda put is straight.

Actually if the handling is really that good (it seems as it's an MR with a good weight distribution and it's Honda:) that means a lot to me.

Otherwise any more information on that Project A chip ? 70£ is not much for such a product but are there any specs or reviews somewhere ? couldn't find any on the board.

I've seen that Feels tune up kit. Any idea how much hp or difference would that make ? :)

Ah sorry... I guess you guys hear these questions all day. Maybe an extensive sticky FAQ could help so everyone could get their questions answered and newbies could just run thru quickly on that topic and don't ask dumb questions like I do :)

Cheers,
Tom

Wh1teLeopard
16-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Hello and welcome Tom.

I've had my beat nearly a year now and I would greatly recommend it to you.

It's a fun car through and through. People stop me in petrol stations (and once driving in/out of a carpark) to ask me all about the car.

It feels very fast, and is very quick off the line. It's brilliant for sunny days.

I recommend a test drive if someone's close to you.

Andrew Fisher
16-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I park my car 100 yards from Stevenage Railway Station (on the Cambridge to Kings Cross line) and I could meet you there for a short test drive one lunch time if you wanted (and you were insured).

(lots of notice needed to remove child seat from passenger side)

MajorTom
16-09-2005, 01:59 PM
White Leopard:

Thanks mate, I think I'll get one next spring because I really like this little car :)

Andrew:

Thanks for the offer! That'd be really fantastic. Have to figure out this somehow as I'm working during the week but I might have a halfday next Friday which means I could leave the company at 1pm and rush to Stevenage to meet you up for a quick spin.

Actually I'd just like to get a ride... if someone takes me for a ride I can feel whether if it's the car for me or not. And at last I could see a beat with my own eyes in & out :)

Thanks a lot folks,
Tom

Paul w
16-09-2005, 08:07 PM
As for the sticky FAQ, we did think about it but then you wouldnt have posted and said hello!

PW

Andrew Fisher
16-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi Tom sorry I can't do weekends but with young kids it's just not possible really. If you let me know the train time by my work email afis@stevenagecabREMOVE.co.uk is probably best next Friday is okay as far as I can remember I'll let you know any problems my end.

MajorTom
16-09-2005, 10:26 PM
hi there!

Paul:

You're right i wouldn't start this thread and possibly wouldn't register untill I became a Beat owner myself.

Thanks for your help! I'm educating myself on Beat now :)

Andrew:

No probs about weekends, I'll try to take a halfday next Friday as I have two which I need to take sometime.

So hope we can make this happen next week!

Thanks,
Tom

MajorTom
24-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi there

First of all I must thank Andrew for the joyride in his Beat. Yes, Yesterday it happened and i got even more excited. This little car has so much to offer. :) I had fast cars but a small, light Rear wheel MR even with 660cc feels a lot different than a large FF one.

So it was fun, and got allowance from my girlfriend as well :) I'd get one anyway but peace is better (if you know what I mean) ;)

I might wait till Spring ofcourse if something special shows up I'll be there !

Thanks for all!

Tom