PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Exhaust

Blobrick
04-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi every one.

I wonder if there is any one I can talk to about my smoking Exhaust?
My Beat has 76km on the clock (I am told possible after market clocks?) so mileage may well be higher. I have notice that on over run whilst changing down gear that, when the throttle is opened a small puff of blue smoke appears. I suspect worn valve seals or worn bores. I would very much like to talk to any one who has worked on the engine unit, eg what can and cant be done with the engine still in the car and level of difficulty etc. I suspect a new set of seals and a timing belt are on the cards, is there any other horrors lurking for the novice?

Blobrick
and the Belper Beat

Beatproducts
05-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Does she smoke when you fire her up in the morning??

Your are right does sound like valve guide seals or pistion rings, the valve guide seals can be changed with out too much fuss, it is a hell of a strip down!!!

To get at them a cam belt change may be done at the same time, here is a breif list of what has to be removed to get at it!! (i hope you have small hends)

Undoo all hood screws at rear of car and fold back hood!!
Remove engine cover and passennger seat belt mount to remove extra cover on engine bay.
strip out air inlet pipe.
Loosen ehaust, remove CAT and small cover over belts
Loosen and slip of alternator, belt & air con belt.
Remove bottom pulley
Remove from top engine mount which fits through Cam belt cover.
Break all fingers removing cam belt cover.
Loosen cam belt tensioner and remove belt.
Remove rocker cover and all bolts holding down rockers, this should allow you to remove in one piece all rockers.
Remove Dizzy and then lift out cam shaft complete with pully still attached !!! And there are the oil seals to be hold!!!

Put in about 6 to 8 hours and you have cracked it!!!
My advice, unless you are good at this sort of thing let a garage do it !!!

Blobrick
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi there thanks for taking the time to reply.

In answer to your first question, no she starts up cleanly, however as soon as you move off and allow the engine to run down, at the point of reopening the throttle, a nice puff of blue smoke appears, usually causing the cars behind to back off so it has its uses!.When running even with high rpm, there is no issue only on run down.

I considered trying one of the "Smoke" oil treatments but not sure if its worth a try?

The work you describe sounds straight forward but time consuming. Are there any special tools requires as I have only the basics tools?. Can you guide me as to where to obtain cam belt and Gasket set/valve seals?

I am a engineering maint mgr, so I have used a spanner before, if this job takes 6-8 hours that would mean at £30 per hour approx £250-300 for labour plus god knows what for the parts! So if its just a straight forward slog I am up for it!
Is it possible to obtain diagrams or Workshop manual type publications to allow identification of components?

Many Thanks

Blobrick
and the sick Belper Beat

Beatproducts
08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Your from the right breed then, (ex service engineer that I am)

A good mechanics tool kit and a torque wrench should cover it, a couple of longish poles or pipe to use as levers as at this age they tend to be a little stiff some of those bolts. Yes and a good hammer. The removal of the pulley is a bit of a B***H so you may need to make a special tool to hold it!!!

Sounds like it would be piston rings or bore worn out !! Will get gradually worse and may only be one gone down. So it may as well be a engine out job and a little chat to OZ for your re-build bits. New pistons rings and bearings for the crank + gaskets are going to set you back about 400 to 500 notes. Oversized pistons are avaliable if you need them!!!;)