PDA

View Full Version : My beat is very pooly

Wh1teLeopard
20-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Can anybody suggest any solutions?

Firstly:

My engine overheats from time to time, without warning but soon passes. This seems to be because I am either low on water or oil or both. I still dont know where my oil and water are going, i'm having to top both up every other week now, which is about every 1,000km

Secondly:

I'm not firing on all cylinders in the mornings some times. It can start with just 1 and sounds like a tractor. I have to put my foot on the accelerator to stop it cutting out. Eventually the second cylinder will cut in and finally the third.

Thirdly:

Water is getting into my spark plugs, but only in really heavy down pours, which is why i don't think the above problem is related. The AA man had to come out because it wouldn't start at all. The inspection cover was wet, running from the rear of the car in the direction of the spark plugs.

What is happening to my little beatie??? No warning lights coming on. There's no water in the oil, and no oil in the water!

barkley
20-08-2005, 07:14 AM
its prob filling the cylinders up hence its hard to start till it gets rid of it out the exhaust , it will need sorting as soon as , before damage that cannot be reversed occurs what miles is on the engine . rebuilds are expensive its not really the parts just very labout intensive

Jennifer
20-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Id get it stripped down and the head rebuilt along with the headgasket, your water and oil will be thrown out of the exhaust, hence why you cant see anything. The engine will seize and die if you keep loosing water and oil at the rate its going

ps-motorsport
20-08-2005, 02:41 PM
it sounds like a headgasket problem to me.

if you are losing both water and oil within a 1000 kms. which is about 600 miles. thats serious !

regards
Peter

Wh1teLeopard
21-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by barkley
its prob filling the cylinders up hence its hard to start till it gets rid of it out the exhaust , it will need sorting as soon as , before damage that cannot be reversed occurs what miles is on the engine . rebuilds are expensive its not really the parts just very labout intensive

66,000 I feared it might be a strip down. Any other suggestions?

Jennifer
21-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Its not a total strip down, your problem is the headgasket, the bottom end is not dead yet so dont worry to much about it. Get the headgasket done and you should be alright.

Wh1teLeopard
22-08-2005, 12:43 AM
now all i need to do is find £110 down the sofa to buy the gasket set hee hee!

Jennifer
22-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Im sure you could persuade ur BF to kindly donate it to the good cause?

Wh1teLeopard
22-08-2005, 12:55 AM
He's still paying the finance for his Hyundai Coupe, and he's only on apprentice wages so deson't leave much, apart from a the odd KFC he buys me!!! :D

Paul w
22-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Whats he apprenticing in?

PW

Steve_M
22-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teLeopard
Can anybody suggest any solutions?

Firstly:

I still dont know where my oil and water are going, i'm having to top both up every other week now, which is about every 1,000km

Valve stem oil seals and piston rings causing oil usage.

Poss Headgasket causing Coolant loss in to cylinders

Secondly:

I'm not firing on all cylinders in the mornings some times. It can start with just 1 and sounds like a tractor. I have to put my foot on the accelerator to stop it cutting out. Eventually the second cylinder will cut in and finally the third.

Coolant has leaked into cylinders via headgasket

Thirdly:

Water is getting into my spark plugs, but only in really heavy down pours, which is why i don't think the above problem is related. The AA man had to come out because it wouldn't start at all. The inspection cover was wet, running from the rear of the car in the direction of the spark plugs.

I cant see how rain water is going to get on to spark plugs :confused:

Engine Overhaul required Headgasket and piston rings and I would think bottom end as well, bearing shells will be quite bad if it has been runnig low oil levels/over heating.

HTH

Wh1teLeopard
23-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Paul w
Whats he apprenticing in?

PW

JCB engineer/fitter