PDA

View Full Version : Gave myself a little bit more storage space

Wh1teLeopard
15-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I moved the spare wheel to behind my seat (i'm a short arse so there was plenty of room hee hee)

Removed the heat shield/guard from underneath, and suspended a net in there. Giving me room to store some essentials like oil and water, freeing up the boot for a little shopping space hee hee!!!

I did this about a month ago, but have been trialing it to make sure it's all ok. There is a gap underneath the net allowing air to flow to the radiator, and everything seems ok in the cargo net. Nothing is touching the main radiator. I am only concerned that the oil container might melt on something, but I am keeping my eye on that!

Isn't it great when a plan actually works? :D

Wh1teLeopard
15-08-2005, 04:15 PM
The net (bought on ebay for £10)

Steve_M
15-08-2005, 04:40 PM
The metal plate you have removed is designed to direct air through the radiator. putting things where you have put them will block the air flow and cause overheating problems even more i should think.

Air flows in at the front of the bumper directed by the metal plate through the rad and out under neath the car.

HTH

LawrenceHarding
15-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Sorry to add to your woes but...relocating the spare will also lighten the front increasing the possibility of wheel lock when braking in the wet. It is also likely that it is intended to provide a measure of impact absorption in the event of a front end crash.

Wh1teLeopard
16-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Thank you for assuming i'm a complete idiot.

Jennifer
16-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, If it runs fine after the headgasket change then i wouldnt worry about it. Pretty sure your bloke could knock up another custom plate to put in place of the old one if desired.

Plus the locking up of the wheels, it will make didly squat difference, I mean that wheel and tyre is 15kg at the most, putting the water etc there will make up some of the weight so in reality only 12kg difference. Plus Im pretty sure Em knows what to do if the wheels lock up anyway.

My Current car Ive moved the battery and washer bottle to the boot and it has made no difference to front at all. You could easily get a cross bar made up to go in the wheel well to strengthen it. Im not having a go at anyone, but having driven beats with and without the front spare in I can honestly there was no difference at all

Adam
16-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer
You could easily get a cross bar made up to go in the wheel well to strengthen it. Im not having a go at anyone, but having driven beats with and without the front spare in I can honestly there was no difference at all

When I hit a wall with my beat the only reason I still have a car was cause the spare tyre stopped the front from been totaly crushed.

I think thats a good enough reason to keep the wheel

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=542&highlight=wall

Paul w
16-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Moveing the battery to the front......hmm now theres an idea.....

PW