PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket

Wh1teLeopard
14-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Are there any available please?

And compared to say a regular boring family car, how easy are they to do?

I'm frightened to go and ask my local Honda Dealer for a quote! hee hee!!!

I dont intend on doing it myself, but my boyfriend has offered, and he did the one on my fiesta, and he is a JCB engineer so has lots of practise... I did point out although my car is yellow it isn't a JCB, he said it's all the same really... I think it's worth considering.

what do you guys think? Any recommendations?

I'm still loosing a lot of water and oil, had to top up on tuesday on the M6's hard shoulder, then on wednesday I found out I had forgotten to put the cap back on the expansion tank, pulled off the motorway to see why there was steam coming from the back of my car, and the temp needle went all the way into the red... which was a worry... but after a cool down and a top up it seems to be running just as before.

Jennifer
14-08-2005, 01:28 AM
its easy just like any other car, head off, send it off to be pressure tested and skimmed (only so its an even surface again). Fit new valve stems if the engine is high mileage, do cambelt at same time and maybe water pump for peace of mind. then its gasket down, head on bolt up etc etc and voila one baby leopard back on the road at full growl

adrianp
14-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Emm,

Steve M should be able to get you a full Headgasket set through the dealership he works for,

Don't know the price though but I think it includes ALL the gaskets you need to do the job properly.

Drop him a PM/E-mail about it (unless he reads it here first... ;) )

Ady.

Adam
14-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I got a full top gasket set from Honda a couple of weeks ago and it only cost me about 85 pounds (inc 21% Vat). It took around a week to come in.

Part number H06110-p36-020

JGGIB
14-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I have a cam belt if you want.

Wh1teLeopard
14-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by JGGIB
I have a cam belt if you want.

I had a new one about 5,000km ago, so should be ok. But thank you anyway...

I think I will let him loose on it, thanks for the info all (espically Jennifer) I will let you know how he gets on hee hee

Jennifer
15-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Just a quick note, when you get the head skimmed you only want the min taken off so its flat again, anything more and it will raise compression.

The valve stem oil seals its up to you whether you do it or not but if the car wasnt belching bluew smoke before I wouldn't worry about it.

Other than that its like any other car, before putting the headgasket on clean the block surface so its clean and make sure the heagasket goes on the right way up, i saw and witnessed an AZ-1 one lunch its engine due to this "finger trouble". Then its just a matter of bolting the headbolts back up in order to the right torque settings. Connect everything back up, top up with a little bit of oil and run it in.

Its ok if you know what your doing lol Ive done the h/g on my lil 106 a few times now and I know what to do pretty much. (headgasket didnt fail, engine was opened up for experimentation reasons lol)

Anyways hope baby leopard is all hunky dory again soon ;)

Steve_M
15-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Topend (headgasket) set @ £130 Inc VAT & P+P

Available next day

HTH

Wh1teLeopard
23-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Do you have any more Headgasket sets.... can't believe it'll be my second one already :rolleyes:

Steve_M
23-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Not a problem with gasket set supply, (have just supplied one to Thomas in denmark)

Price increase since last year now @ £134.06 inc postage (+5% if paypaling)

HTH

Wh1teLeopard
23-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Ouch... think my purse will start bleeding soon hee hee!

Still I'd rather buy a new gasket set then have to rip the head off again a few weeks down the line because one of them's gone hee hee!!!

Thanks Steve... money should be paypalling it's way to you in a mo.

Wh1teLeopard
23-04-2006, 08:30 PM
PM SENT STEVE