PDA

View Full Version : Cam Belt Tension

graham45
02-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I have fitted new cam belt and spring but I feel that the tension is not great on the side opposite the tensioner.

Is this normal?

I cant get another tooth so imagine this must be correct.

Anybody got any thoughts.

Keep shearing bolts. One on the clutch and one of the long rocker cover bolts. Dam infuriating :suicide:

barkley
04-08-2005, 05:47 PM
it always will be slacker on that side , i take it you used a new spring ,be careful not to tighten it to tight as you will pull the bearing out of the water pump .if you have any funny wine ing noises the belt is too tight and this will reduce replacement time ,mark the belt on the tensioner side turn engine over with spanner so the slack side arrives at tensioner and give it a little tighten not to much , i usually twist them through 90 degrees,but remember any noise from the belt and its too tight and you wouldnt want to be doing it all over again :)

Adam
06-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Myself and Midship where doing that last night and we came to the same conclusion and I remember when I bought the car and was doing the timing belt it didn't feel right too.

I left the spring there and estimated the tention but I wouldn't recommend it. It worked for me last time so hopefull it will work again.

graham45
13-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Its whinning!

Now that its all back together can I revert to the spring tension only by backing of the tensioner bolt to let it find its own tension then tighten it again? Or do I need to open it up?

The engine also seems to be loose in the mounting and judders when changing gear. Any experience of this?

barkley
13-08-2005, 10:39 PM
you could try that if you wish as long as you know what you are doing ,personally i would pull the covers of and start again ,when i have replaced the belts before i used the spring tension and then a tiny nip extra like i said on the side where there is no tensioner you should be able to twist the belt at a right angle 90degrees, timing belt tension is not like an aux belt they do run a little slacker ,as for the vibration did you tighten the engine mountain properly

graham45
14-08-2005, 08:13 PM
I pulled the covers anyway and slakened the tensioner bolt

But it did not change the noise much

Maybe it is my imagination

All mountings are tight but still getting a judder particulary in reverse

barkley
14-08-2005, 09:31 PM
how tight are the other belts disconnect them one at a time and see as for the judder is it on take off or all time