PDA

View Full Version : ecu capacitors

obiwanwasabe
10-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Hiya,
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a new set of capacitors (condensors) and fitting instrusctions for my ecu? mine are in midlife crisis (bulging) and may be responsible for my kangaroo style slow driving and poor mpgs.
Nick

ozsamurai
14-07-2005, 05:38 AM
200JPY and I can get a set from Japan 105 rated, but if you ask around I'm sure you'll be able to find them in the UK at a good electronics store..

INSTRUCTIONS ARE HERE

http://members.lycos.co.uk/ozsamurai/DIY/CondenserReplace.htm

Cheers

Oz

obiwanwasabe
14-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks for that Oz, after I have done that all I have to do is find out what use the document box is and I reckon I,ll have the car sorted! (exept for the tape stuck in the player and the buttons on it that dont work, and the small wing effect on the corners of the soft top, and the broken seat belt guides, ect.........)

Nick

LawrenceHarding
14-07-2005, 11:42 PM
I think you"ll find small wing effect on hood just behind doors to be a normal feature of the beat unless you have a new hood. Don't worry about it.

ozsamurai
14-07-2005, 11:57 PM
consider the ears a useful aerodynamic feature of the soft top, which can only properly be paraded by veterans! lol..

Tape stuck in player buttons don't work

Buy new stereo of the Japanese Yahoo boards, end of problem, if the buttons are broken I have a spare set, that wasn't picked up from the last bulk buy, see the post.

Cheers

Oz

Paul w
31-07-2005, 09:15 AM
I've just had my ECU in bits in order to check it against a faulty one i'm repairing. I noticed that one of the caps is close to failing (some leakage at the base etc)
Interestingly, it seems to be the same one that failed on the board i'm repairing (the 47uF near the big diode). This cap was fine when I chipped mine, so has degraded in the past 12 months or so.

I've ordered 10 sets of capacitors, but I have ordered a higher spec pair of capacitors for that position (high temp and slightly higher max voltage)

I'll do a quick how to guide on here when i swap them out, plus the remaining 9 sets will be up for sale at around a fiver inc P&P.

I can also offer a fitting service, if anyone wants it!

PW

Mat
01-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi Paul

I would be interested in getting my capcitors swapped sometime

Could you please send me an email when you've got a bit of time as I don't know one end of soldering iron to another

I only live just past Chester so not too far away

Paul w
01-08-2005, 06:47 PM
No problem Mat.

I'm on a steep learning curve with the repairs, the electrolite that leaks from them is very corrosive and seems to love to eat the copper tracks if they go. I've just repaired 3 breaks in the PCB that looked ok at first glance.

I've been chatting to a guy that repairs the beat ECU in Japan and he has given me some invaluable advice.
I hope to have a working spare shortly, so we could let you have a 'courtesy' ECU while yours is in for a service!

:D

I'll drop you a PM when the caps are in

PW

Paul w
04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, i've swapped mine out now, and just in time it seems.

As I said earlier, the caps were fine about 12 months back when I chipped the ECU, but the C4 cap (the one that usually fails) was showing signs of leakage recently.

When I de-soldered it, it had leaked, but the electrolite had not quite reached the PCB so I got lucky!!

I have 3 or 4 sets of caps, £5 each inc P&P (does that sound fair? they are a lot cheaper than that, but when you add postage from the supplier it would set you back more than that)

I hope to test my repaired ECU too this week (but a flat battery makes it a bit of a kefuffle!)

PW

obiwanwasabe
05-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Hiya Paul w ,
yup interested in a set of caps can you email me at nalawrance@hotmail.com please?

Nick

Andrew Fisher
17-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi Paul I sent some money for some caps did you get it??

Thanks

Andrew

Paul w
17-08-2005, 04:44 PM
yup, thanks!

(i'll post them out tonight)

PW

obiwanwasabe
17-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Caps recieved and looking good, will let you know if they cure my problem but it could be a week or so before i fit them.Thanx
.........Nick

Beatproducts
18-08-2005, 07:32 PM
I will have a set of caps too Paul and I am interested in that dizzy too e-mail me phil@beatproducts.co.uk