PDA

View Full Version : My Cam Belt Just Let Go (Ouch)

graham45
20-06-2005, 10:25 PM
My wife had the pleasure of having the cam belt go whilst in a supermarket car park.

Even at slow speed I guess the head will be wrecked.

The engine turns with no resistance.

Does anyone have experience of rebuilding the head.

Is there anyone who can rebuild the head once I get it off.

Steve_M
21-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Your more than likely going to need a new set of valves, but the head it self should be ok.

Even when my cambelt went @ 6000 rpm, it was only the valves that bent.

HTH

graham45
21-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Do I need to get them from Honda?

Do you have any part numbers for the valves and I guess a head gasket set.

Steve_M
21-06-2005, 05:14 PM
head gasket set 06110-P36-020 @ £130
exhaust valve 14721-P36-000 @ £38.52 each
inlet valve 14711-P36-000 @ £24.21 each (on back order)
cambelt 06141-P36-306 @ £35.00

If you dont have a beat friendly honda dealer local to you, then let me know and I can sort them out for you.

HTH

Midship
24-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Hi sorry to hear about the trouble,

Im doing a timing belt job at the mo, just picked up the valves today actually. Steves right. the inlets are on back order- they took forever to come in!

Any how they arrived today, and ive one inlet valve to many, it cost me 21 euro so if u pay pal me 18 pounds I will send u it (inc postage). Its one less for you to order and wait for and means im not going to lose it!

Cheers
Michael

graham45
24-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks I will have to investigate pay pal never used it before.

I need 6 Inlet valves and 2 exhaust valves

I`m waiting for a reply from my local honda garage. Thay have got me bits in the past without much delay. (I bought a new timing belt 4 moths ago but never fitted it as I could not remove the crank pulley nut. Now I have a £500 job for the sake of one ******* nut)

Still have not managed to remove the nut, but did manage to break the pulley hex boss last night. I had a hex insert made at work to suit and used a 2" AF spanner to prevent the engine tuning. The hex insert was much stronger than the pulley.

Any good tips?

Also struggling to remove the camshaft pully is it LH or RH thread?

graham45
24-06-2005, 06:53 PM
not a budding David bailey

Adam
24-06-2005, 07:30 PM
I pulled my engine out last night and was doing the same thing, but I had the gearbox off so all I had to do is block the flywheel.

But you won't do it with a spanner. If you don't have any air tools then I suggest a monkey bar. If the engine is out then take the gearbox off, its only a couple of screws more and jam an object like a long socket between the body of the block and a fly wheel tooth. It works no problem but get someone to hold the engine for you.

Oh its the same direction like a normal thread so go anti-clockwise.

If the engine is in the car then refer to the last thread, I know Barkley was a little sceptical but my way it works every time and for every car.

Hope this helps.

graham45
24-06-2005, 08:26 PM
I did try your way many times but it did not budge

I will be pulling the gearbox tomorrow so I`ll try the flywheel jamming although the way things are going I`ll probably bust he flywheel.

Adam
24-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Try and not do that :) , but make sure you got someone with you, and get a monkey bar, it really helps.

Goodluck