PDA

View Full Version : coolant temperature sensor

Mat
20-06-2005, 04:05 PM
My engine check light has started flickering on and off

I read the threads and checked earths and cleaned connections at weekend but light still comes on

Tried connecting the service check connector and got 6 beeps
but I always get six beeps when I start the car anyway

My car has actually used water the first time in five years and I think one of the pipes underneath is slightly leaking

If the beeps are right its saying my coolant temperature sensor is playing up anybody know where this is as it might only be a loose wire hence the flickering on and off of the light

Any help much appreciated as Summer is here and I want to drive hood down while I can

adrianp
20-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi Mat,

I think you are getting a bit confused...

The 6 beeps you get are because the seatbelt isn't latched into it's holder...lol

When you follow the instructions and bridge the connector, you should watch the yellow/orange engine light on the dashboard when you turn on the ignition.

Hope this helps

Ady.

julia21
20-06-2005, 10:59 PM
thanks for that Adrian i did wonder why it bleeped, and seems I’ve already admitted to being stupid i might as well continue. i have read lots of threads that talk about error codes, could someone please see their way to explaining what they are and how you’d find out if you have any....
Cheers
xxJTxx

adrianp
21-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Hi Julia,

The way to tell (normally) that you have a fault is that the engine check light on the dash will either stay on when the engine has fired up ur come on whilst you are driving.

Have a quick read of this...

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/troubleshooting.htm

It explains what the fault codes mean and how to check for them.

There is a basic diagram I did in this thread (below) to show where the connector it located...

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87

Hope this helps

Ady.

john s
21-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Julia

Not quite the same problem as yours but something of a mystery.
When first acquired my beat's radiator cooling fan came on as soon as ignition switched on and it ran continuously until ignition switched off. Hence low operating temperature registered on temp gauge but no problem with engine light coming on, so apparently no error code.

Removed bonnet floorplate - much sweat, tears and cut fingers, I discovered unless you first remove the Feel's tower bar, if you have one fitted.

Investigation revealed two radiators installed in series (certainly not a standard arrangement, I think?) Standard fan-cooled radiator in normal position and a smaller rad positioned in front directly behind the front grill. All quite separate from Aircon heat exchanger and fan. Located heat sensor/fan switch located in bottom tank of standard radiator but disconnected. Wires for this sensor/switch bridged - hence continuous operation of fan and presumably, absence of warning light and error code.

Suspected previous owner had had overheating problems with who knows what consequences. However, tested sensor/fan switch with flashlight bulb, battery and pan of boiling water and it functioned perfectly. Reinstalled switch and reconnected leads and all works fine - fan cuts in and out as neccessary and temp gauge registers engine running hotter than before but well within normal parameters. Again, no error codes.

So what was that all about? Do single rad beats tend to suffer from overheating? Any guesses?

regards

john s