PDA

View Full Version : Modified air intake and filter

john s
16-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi all

Inspired by Adam's mod using the Opel intake and cone filter (and the expense of replacement air filter) I tried the following setup.

Couldn't get the Opel bit locally so removed paper filter from beat filter housing, also removed standard beat intake assembly and the wire stays which secure it. Fabricated a new intake pipe from 50mm flexible/extendable hose (available from most motor factors, I guess) using a short length of pvc plumbing pipe to join hose to beat filter housing.

Routed the flexible hose thro' engine compartment to side vent and fitted another piece of pvc tubing which fits into an air sock (oiled sponge type air filter). All connections secured with jubilee clips.

Air sock fits comfortably in cavity behind side vent and can be jiggled around to get best air exposure, the sock wedges gently in position and does not need securing. Pipe is flexible yet rigid enough to stay put without fastenings. Don't remove the spring from the air sock or the filter will collapse and disappear up the pipe like a hoovered hamster.

Maintenance just involves removing the air sock when dirty and rinse in meths, wring out, then re-oil, wring out lightly and refit.

Cost? about $A40 all new bits - which I suspect is slightly more expensive than Adam's version but you may be able to get cheaper if you scrounge around wreckers, friends etc.

Performance not so good as Adam reports but some improvement in acceleration. Looking at Adam"s setup and looking at the original beat assembly I notice a gradual taper from air vent end to filter casing on engine. Perhaps this creates a venturi effect which my setup doesn't have since my hose has the same diameter all along its length and expands only when it reaches the now empty filter casing.

Also air vent cavity opens to engine compartment and the ambient temperature in this cavity is actually quite high - cooler I guess when the car is moving.

Downside - uses notably more fuel since fitted and noticeable smell of petrol - causing engine to run rich perh aps?

Thinking of fabricating a new filter casing with inlets each end and running another flexible pipe to driver's side air intake (not so easy because the fuel tank is in the way).

I am beginning to wonder whether its worth drawing air from the air vents in the body at all because of the hot air problem. Might try just sticking the air sock on the inlet to the empty filter housing drawing air from the boot cavity which also has vents in the top. Hot in there too tho'!

Comments? Suggestions? All welcome.

john s

barkley
16-06-2005, 05:41 PM
have a look arround those v8 holdens over there the air intake will be similar to that of adams opel

JGGIB
16-06-2005, 05:51 PM
We no that engines run better with cold air ...so run some pipe from the heater vents then turn on the AC ..simple turn the fan onto max there's the turbo, freezing cold air forced into the engine... :rolleyes:

john s
21-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks for that, J beat, altho' I think you might be tongue in cheek about hooking up air intake to aircon!

Just in case you are serious, I think the extra load the a/c puts on the engine would more than cancel out any benefits gained from cold air - and my a/c is certainly a lot less than frosty, so I guess it wouldn't work too well at all! But thanks anyway.

regards

john s