PDA

View Full Version : Brake cylinder seals repair kit

john s
16-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi all

Can anyone help with part number for rear brake cylinder repair kit? Honda original or perhaps a non-beat kit which would do the job?

Honeymoon over! And I thought my newly-acquired beat had been well-maintained. Much smoke and usual expensive smell plus drastic drop in speed, plus one very hot back wheel. Usual situation, on a busy clearway, at night and late for an appointment. Cooled off and limped home. On inspection problem is not seized handbrake cam or linkage as mentioned in previous threads. Stripped caliper and found guides very tight and some corrosion on piston, cylinder gunky but no corrosion.

Cleaned up and reassembled but piston seal looks a bit suspect and yes - the dust cover is a real pig to fit! I suspect it may leak when I fit it back on the car. Normally I would fit new seals but need to use the car in a hurry, so I'm hoping the old seals will hold up until I can get a repair kit. So - can anybody help with a part number? Also p/no for replacement piston. Thanks.

John s

barkley
16-06-2005, 05:47 PM
my cylinders where gunky as well , i suffered from the same problem i striped all 4 calipers no pitting on the pistons it was the gunk was the problem ,i did not remove the dust covers ,just cleaned all the stuff out of them and u need 3 hands to pop the pistons back in use a pair of pointed plyers though the anti rattle bracket on the caliper thats 1 hand and the other 2 used for pulling the cover over the piston while giving it a little push .mine have been fine since and the car could be sitting arround for up to 3 weeks at a time

john s
21-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks Barkley for your reply and kind advice.

I tackled the seals problem another way, although three hands - possibly even tentacles complete with suckers are an advantage.

I installed piston seal, then fitted dust cover over piston from adjustment end, slapped on some hydraulic fluid and slipped the cover along the piston until it overlapped the end sufficiently to insert into cylinder and to then locate the rim of the rubber in the groove in the cylinder. Then, with dust cover in place, inserted piston through the seal. It slides thro' and then screws in until the other end of the dust cover locates on the ridge at the outer end of the piston.

Easier to write about than to do - it took me about a dozen attempts to get it right. Might try your way next time.

Can you remember the part number for the seals kit you fitted?
I really need to fit new seals and have had no replies to my request for Honda part number.

regards

john s

Steve_M
21-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Seal kit for rear caliper is 01473-SF1-010
Piston is 43215-SF1-003

HTH

john s
22-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Thanks Steve M

Very much appreciated.

John s