PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Changeout

graham45
14-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Anyone got experience of changing a clutch?

I would appreciate any information/tips for changing the clutch on my beat.

tinytim
14-06-2005, 07:43 PM
I did mine with the engine and gearbox on the floor but I don't see anything stopping you dropping the gearbox alone unless there simply isn't room to get the shaft out. Hopefully someone can clarify.

Jack the car up at the center of the rear cross member and put axle stands under the side jacking points.
Disconnect the lower wheel station mounts and remove the rear cross member. (Remember how the rear tracking adjuster washers were positioned)

Pull the wheel stations out to disconnect the drive shafts (Have someone support the shaft so you don't damage the seal.)

From there on it's a case of disconnect what needs to be disconnected. You don't need to break into the clutch hydraulics as you can remove the master cylinder and leave it plumbed in.

Likewise if you drop the engine, just remove the AC mounts but leave the pipework connected.

I would recommend a new release bearing but it may not be necessary.

While you do it it would be a HUGE help if you could log what you actually do and put a post on the "How to thread"

If you are only dropping the gear box I think the only bits you need to disconnect are the gear control linckages (pins with split pins), clutch master cyl and a few electrical connections but I can't be sure:(