PDA

View Full Version : distributor

dave mac
03-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Thank you for the advice given so far. Having replaced the distributor and no1 cylinder sensor I cannot time the car correctly. Every time I advance the distributor towards the red line as per advice on this forum the engine actually stops. The most advance I can achieve is somewhere between the white line and the red dot. The distributor advances nicely when I rev the engine. I am at a loss, on most engines you can advance the timing way beyond what it ought to be and the most you will get will be pinking under load. I'm pretty confident that I kept the cam timing correct when removing the pulley as everything lined up and the car started without even moving the distributor. I also retensioned the belt. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave

Paul w
03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
its not 180 degrees out is it? I've heard of people having trouble getting the timing right and the dizzy is in backwards with the leads on in the wrong order...

Also...
aren't there some lines that have to be aligned when you put the dizzy in? I seem to remember you set it one tooth out before you drop it into the engine, as its on a worm drive and rotates as it is put into place....

STEVE??? help!

PW

Midship
03-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi Dave,

I was under the impression that on the flywheel, you should see a line with T beside it signifying TDC for CYL1

Then a dot

Then a Line signifying 20BTDC (@1200 RPM) Timing line (use white tipex to mark this line)

Heres what I would try:

I would take out the dizzy,

There is a dot on the shaft which can line up to a line on the body of the distributor. (To confirm look at where the rotor is pointing relative to the number on the cap. it should be pointing in the direction of CYL one)

Be aware that the dizzy might move sightly when you are putting it back in so you might have to take it out and put it back in a few times.

Turn the Engine (anti clockwise only) to TDC for CYL one. Bolt it up, bridge the ECU connector and fine tune it with a timing light to the other line (the one without the T that you marked with tipex).

This is the best help I can give you at the mo

HTH