PDA

View Full Version : cylinder sensors

dave mac
30-04-2005, 11:58 AM
With the help of forum members I have idebtified and taken delivery of a tdc sensor and distributor from Japan. After a good 2 hours swearing in Cantonese I finally got the sensor off having removed the cam belt and camshaft pulley. I replaced the sensor and checked the car it started immediately but the engine check light was still on and indicating 8 flashes when bridging the diagnostic plug. I played with the ignition timing but the car would only run if set at or near the dot on the flywheel and would actually stop if I advanced it to the red line. I then put in a new distributor (the old one was indeed stiff to turn and I thought it might be an advance mechanism sticking). I now still get the 8 flashes on the engine check light followed by a further 5 (MAP sensor according to the table). My questions are the following;

1/Am I correct in assuming that the red line is the mark for timing at idle speed and that timing should be undertaken with the diagnostic plug bridged as per an earlier message.

2/ for resetting the engine check light do you leave the diagnostic plug bridged with the 7.5 AMP fuse removed? and does the ignition have to be on or off?

Many thanks for any assistance

Dave

Steve_M
01-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by dave mac
1/Am I correct in assuming that the red line is the mark for timing at idle speed and that timing should be undertaken with the diagnostic plug bridged as per an earlier message.

Warm engine, Diagnosed plug bridged, at idle, Red mark to line up with pointer.

Originally posted by dave mac
2/ for resetting the engine check light do you leave the diagnostic plug bridged with the 7.5 AMP fuse removed? and does the ignition have to be on or off?
[/B]

Ignition off, diagnostic plug not bridged, remove 7.5 Amp ECU fuse for 10 sec. + or battery disconnect.