PDA

View Full Version : Why I love honda!

Paul w
22-04-2005, 11:48 AM
So its CR-V service time, and despite now living some 30 miles from the honda garage i always use, I booked her in and tootled up there today.

I'd asked for a courtesy car and when I got there they had a Jazz waiting for me....

I was just about to sign for it when the guy said....
'unless of you want to take this Civic Type R'.......

Not the hardest question I've ever been asked!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

That should get it out of my system for another 6 months or so!

PW

(omg, this is my 666th post! Freaky!)

john m
22-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Had a loan of one from my dealer for 3 days, when I got back into my accord I felt like I was going backwards. What a car, I would loose my licence in it, great car for a blast down a country road! It was last summer I had the Type-R and I keep wanting more. The Golf GTI that I drove just doesnt excite in the same way!
Thinking of adding another Honda to my stable, this time a MK 1 CRX, any pros/cons?? I like the idea of lots of available parts and good handling.

Paul w
22-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I had a Mk1 CRX....loved it to bits

If you can, get the rare as anything 1.6

Its got the Mk2 engine in the old body (no glass tailgate though, and they rot around the badges!)

The Mk2 VTI was a beast too! Very similar grin factor to the Type R, but the road holding is a touch soft.

PW

john m
22-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Over here we seemed to get and even split between 1.5 and 1.6L cars. A lot of ours are used imports and high spec, they seem expensive, below are some prices. Must go get a drive from one!

Honda CRX SIR 1.6 DOHC V-Tec, 1991.Old shape, met red, 16"" alloys plus other extras, ex cond, €4,400 ono.

Honda CRX 1.6, 1990.Twin cam, leather interior, fsh, immac cond,€3,500.

Honda CRX 1.6 '90.Red, immac cond, NCT 12/06, original Irish car, €3300

Honda CRX 1.6 '90, DOHC, Vtec, white ,16" alloys, Spax susp, Remus exhaust, CD player, NCT, €3800

Paul w
22-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Hmm

Are we talking about the same cars?

Below is what I would call a mk1, made from about 85 onwards,
photos follow of mk2 (and 3 was just a face lift i think) then mk4 the convertible

PW

Paul w
22-04-2005, 01:20 PM
mk2/3

Paul w
22-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Mk4 (i had an ESI one of these, nice motor!)

PW

john m
22-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Since the first 2 are basically the same shape (minor cosmetic changes) I assumed these were MK1 and the last photo I assumed as MK2 since its a totally different shape. It is what you have down as a mk2/3 that I want. The MK4 above are nice but they are way over prised here and I think the earlier model has more cart like handling. Most seem to have in excess of 100k miles, what are these engines like? There is one that I prised and it had a high compression head, the top end was completely rebuilt last year but he says there is a bad vibration from the front left wheel. He replaced a wishbone but its still there, tracking and balancing he thinks will cure it but I dont feel like gambling 4500 on that! What type of performance should the 1.6 vtec give?

Paul w
22-04-2005, 04:21 PM
the Mk1 and Mk2 were physically very different and shared very little in common apart from the wedge shape. The Mk1 1.6s were great fun!

All the early CRXs (Mk1-3)suffer from worn CV joints (put it on full lock and drive slowly, if it clicks or clunks then forget it!)

the 1.6 VTIs were 158Bhp i think, so hit 60 in around 7 seconds. They have the honda rev thing going on up to over 8000 rpm from memory.

Whilst the Mk2-3s handle well, they are a little on the soft side, and you do get quite a bit of body roll even if the tyre is staying flat to the ground due to the double wishbone suspension.

I think they all have torsion tube springs which if replaced/fixed etc have to be set up correctly...weird system!

PW

Adam
22-04-2005, 05:46 PM
My brother had the MK1 1.5l automatic and it was quick. After he wrote it off he got himself an MK2 1.6l(non vtec) manual and was quite dissapointed. The car was slower.

As think that MK1 was a lot lighter due to fibreglass body panels. Anyway they are a great car, and very reliable (except the cv joints like it was said)

I drove the 91 DOHC Vtec a couple of months ago and they are really quick. So quick I was thinking of getting one.

Paul w
23-04-2005, 09:17 AM
I agree, if you are getting one, its got to be a VTI, otherwise you'll always be wondering what you are missing!

Well, i'm off to take the CTR back... :(

actually its done me good, reminded me that I couldn't live with one on a day to day basis....and my licence trembles in my pocket every time i turn the key!

PW