PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody enlighten me!

JEP
26-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi
Can anybody tell me a bit of history on the Beat engine?
Where is the engine from?
Is it a cut down version of a 4 cylinder?
Honda are well know for 4 cylinder bike and car engines but I was wondering where the Beat engine came from, is it a one off?
James

obiwanwasabe
11-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Hiya,
I was chatting to a knowledgable nerd at my local Honda dealers and he reckons that it is half the Honda Goldwing engine, does anyone know any different?

Nick

tinytim
11-06-2005, 03:15 PM
I had heard it was from a snow mobile but I can't give it any more substance than that:confused:

ozsamurai
05-07-2005, 09:47 AM
The EO7 engine was around well before the Beat of course, even today it is used in the Honda Life, previously assembled in a huge list of Kei cars.

Honda Today
Hondo Logo
Honda Z
......etc....
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/ozsamurai/InformationPages/E07Amodels.htm

The origins of the EO series was a subsequent development of the very popular original N360 engine, the N360 then spilt to the Life, Z, StepVAN, and a host of others, some not so popular and dying a natural death. The rework of this engine for the Beat was significant because Honda put the knowledge gained from their F1 success in the mid 90's (with Senna driving) into the eng (MTREC etc...). Turbo versions of this eng are available in Japan still, Honda Life (Dunk Turbo version), but the reason they made the turbo was due to an increase in chassis/body weight, upgrading those engines to 64hp, which the Beat already has... sticking a turbo on a Beat thus becomes futile.... anyway I digress....

Hope this gives you some food for thought..

Cheers

Oz

Bruce
05-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Interesting OzS,

Does anyone know of any other engines with the MTREC system, i.e. with an indepedent throttle valve for each cylinder? I know that the BMW V12 in the McLaren F1 has it, and the 2003 BMW M3's V10. I think someone told me it might be common in sports bikes.

On the subject of digressing, did you know that current Honda F1 star Takuma Sato has a Beat in Japan? He still drives his old Mini Cooper at home in England, despite his millions - the guy got soul.

Bruce

PP1
14-07-2005, 02:34 AM
Another engine with an indepedent throttle valve for each cylinder I know of is the RB26 in Nissan's Skyline GT-R ;)