PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

jessjames
17-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi all,
I would like to buy a Beat and am having difficulty finding insurance on the interweb cos it's an import. Just wondering with which companies other owners have used and how easy it was. I phoned Norwich Union and was told that they do not insure imported cars over 10 years old, but the quote from the AA was in fact a Norwich Union policy ! I would be especially interested if people have one as a 2nd car, as mine would be. I'm assuming that some/most (?) companies won't allow my full no claims on my Civic to be considered against the Beat.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

"Jess" James

adrianp
17-03-2005, 06:10 PM
If you do a search on here you would find a few posts about it...

but being the kind person I am... ;) I've just done that for you, so here's a list to help start you off...

Tesco's

Footman James

Privilege

Lancaster

Adrian Flux

It does depend on your age as to if they will even quote you...
(Ah, just looked at your profile... shouldn't have that problem really... :rolleyes: )

Hope this helps

Ady.

Wh1teLeopard
17-03-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm with Tesco's... as they were the only company brave enough to insure a 19yr old on a 13yr old soft top import.

Andy V
17-03-2005, 10:19 PM
We're with Tesco too, as my previous insurers for our other car (a Vectra :o ) wouldn't consider insuring a Beat. That was 'More Than' incidentally.

As for the no claims bonus, we had to start with 0 no-claims bonus as the Beat is a second car. This has been a bit painful to start with of course.

Andy.

jurek
17-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi I am with churchill had no problem to insure

LawrenceHarding
17-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Check the insurance on your other car if you have one it may be better to transfer the NCD to the Beat. If you have a Flat Rated policy you may be able to do this without the premium for the other car going up effectively giving max NCD on both immediately.

jessjames
18-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the quick replies. I shall try these companies. My other car is a Civic Type-r, so taking the no claims off that would be too painfull! If I get a Beat it would stay in the garage and the Civic insurance would go up a bit because it will live on the drive. Perhaps the best way would be 3rd party F&T and not crash. We will only use it when its not raining (rare in Cornwall!) . I realised just after I posted this thread I was in the wrong area (For Sale). So thanks for not telling me off.
Note to self: must think before I post next time.

Cheers,
"Jess" James

Robin
18-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi JessJames,

I was with Direct line, I found them to be the cheapest by far and got very good customer service from them.

Hope this helps.

Robin

tinytim
18-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Perhaps the best way would be 3rd party F&T and not crash.

I think you will find that only saves you a couple of quid and having just had someone run into my rear end even minor damage on the Beat will cost,,,,,,more than a couple of quid.

I'm with tescos by the way.

Paul w
18-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi All,
I've just got a quote from the AA!

£395 fully comp protected, with full NCB and a 60 quid glass excess and 270 compulsary excess. I'm 33 by the way, living in south staffs (medium risk area i'd say)

I've not known the AA to quote before, and the guy said that 3rd part fire and theft were was more expensive!! go figure!

Can't remember what i paid with tesco, but i'll give them a call to compare. The AA quote was through Norwich union

PW