PDA

View Full Version : Cam Belt/Tensioners

graham45
03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I recently aquired a Beat and have heard that there is a problem with cam belt / cam belt tensioner.

Can anyone advise best course of action not knowing whether any work has been done by previous owners.

Are parts available?

Where can I get them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know if there is a hard top available.

Adam
04-01-2005, 12:08 PM
There is no real problem with the cam belt. Ok, it snaps but this happens in most cars, so its a job that needs to be done as soon as you get the car unless you know that someone else has done it before. There are two ways people mark it. Sometimes there is a Jap sticker inside the drivers door or the old fashion way written on the cover of the timing belt.
If you don't see this then do it straight away or this will cost you a lot of money later on. You can get the belt, spring and sticker from your local Honda dealer for I think 50 euro(30 pounds). If the garage tells you that the engine has to come out then thats a lie. All that needs to come off it the engine mount , back roof screws, engine cover, the shield on the exhaust(its in the way), the fly wheel and the wheel of course. Thats it.

Whats the milage on your car?

graham45
04-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Car has 96000Kms

Midship
04-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Dont ya mean crank pully instead of the flywheel :p

Adam
04-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeh sorry, I got excited.

I'd would say do it as soon as possible, don't wait for anything.

jurek
13-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Are there special marks to line up to set the timing on the belt?
ie cam, crank and distrburer drive