PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking

Midship
02-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Hi All,

Im getting a little worried about my baby, the last few times ive been driving with the engine cold at about 4000 RPM-5000 RPM I get a very sharp high pitched noise it stays for about 3 seconds then goes and doesn’t seem to come back until the next time im driving cold

Its sounds to me like some sort of bearing running dry, but I could be wrong the fact that it only occurs when the engine is cold also has me slightly puzzled!

The dizzy, water pump and the timing belt rollers are new :confused: Maybe i got a dodgy set like Steve?

Did you experience and squeaking prior to your roller gave in Steve?

Any ideas on what it could be would be greatly appreciated before i go and strip off the timing gear etc etc!!!

Haven’t got the time or the weather for this at the moment :explode:

Steve_M
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Quite a common noise, I have heard it on quite a few beats, just one of those things, only happens when cold and goes very soon after starting.

Never really looked into it, to identify its cause.

Midship
03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Cheers Steve, im not as worried now!

Dose any one else on the boards get this noise?

Adam
04-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Not me, but could it be the fan belt???

Wh1teLeopard
04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
The only squeaking i've noticed which is possibly more worrying is when I'm using the gears to slow me down at round-a-bouts... it only happens when I change down into 4th... not when i'm changing up, only changing down... and only 4th...

Boy Friend said it was the belt slipping because of the sudden change in revs... from quite low to high and the belt can't keep up

Steve_M
04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Adam
Not me, but could it be the fan belt???

No I dont think it is. My car had all new belts and still did it, normally only once, on the initial pull away as the rev's went up

Midship
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Its sounds more high pitched, like a dry baring running at high speed.... if i come up with the cause ill post it up!

ozsamurai
10-01-2005, 03:27 AM
My two bobs worth,

I would tend to think it is a belt squeel if it only occurrs when pulling out, and under cold conditions. Usually as you all know the belts when exchanged have about 3-6 months bedding time, then they should be re-adjusted (tightened) to take up free play. When it squeels, hit the brakes if it stops, its a belt, if it doesn't its a bearing is my thoughts...

Cheers
Oz