PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel boss?

Wh1teLeopard
24-12-2004, 12:30 PM
My steering wheel really rattles over 40mph... it makes the whole dash vibrate and causes the needles to jump. It's only stopped when I push on the top of the wheel.

Am I right in thinking it's the steering wheel boss??? If so, how much are new ones... and how do you fit them???

Many thanks

tinytim
24-12-2004, 03:16 PM
It could be a host of things but first it's worth trying the "free fixes".
Quite possibly it's the screws that hold the steering wheel to the boss. Pop the center out and pull the cover off the steering wheel spokes and you should see 6 allen screw heads, make sure they are all there and tight. If they are the less likely problem could be the centre nut (you can see it throught the big hole now you have the cover off) This holds the boss onto the steering shaft. Give the whel a good wobble pushing and pulling top and bottom, if there's any movement tighten the nut. If it's neither of these it's garage time :(

Wh1teLeopard
24-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by tinytim
It could be a host of things but first it's worth trying the "free fixes".... If it's neither of these it's garage time :(

Thanks very much for that :) Will have a look tomorrow when it's light again outside...

Merry christmas everyone by the way :)

Wh1teLeopard
26-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by tinytim
Pop the center out and pull the cover off the steering wheel spokes and you should see 6 allen screw heads

How do I get the cover off the steering wheel? I couldn't seem to do it without risking snapping something....

tinytim
27-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Ahh! Could be there is a difference in steering wheels.
I had a momo one on mine and all you needed to do was curl your fingers round the top and peel the centre cover off the spokes.

If you have a centre button/horn push, just popping this out should allow you to check the screws and centre bolt.

Any chance you could post a picture of your steering wheel, someone should be able to help out.

Wh1teLeopard
29-12-2004, 05:51 PM
I finally got round to taking a picture today... been busy restoring parts of my beat in the garage...

Firstly my camera wouldn't work... ended up replacing the brand new batteries and it worked...

took the pictures... and now i can't find the lead for the camera :confused: Just don't think I was meant to

but it's exactly the same as the picture below.

I got the center bit out, with the horn on, but could only see 3 screws, which were cross head screws, not allen key ones... couldn't see the other 3, but I could see the nut in the middle. Nut looks fine, but I'd like to check the screws as they do seem a bit loose.

tinytim
29-12-2004, 06:24 PM
That's probably where your problem is, they should be allen screws so they can be tightned properly and not come undone!

It LOOKS like the centre cover should pull pull off but if you've tried and it didn't work I'm a bit at a loss.

I'd suggest you get some countersunk allen head screws, I'm pretty sure they're M6 x 15mm and some M6 nuts and spring washers (If that means absolutely nothing to you, which it may well not, just ask at the Halfords desk. They will show you what they are and you can then shop elsewhere for a decent price).

Even if this doesn't cure your problem it's a couple of £ to make sure you remain in control of your car. I have actually been driving a vehicle when the steering wheel came off in my hands, a great story in the bar but only good fortune allows me to tell it. II don't recomend it as an exercise.

Steve_M
29-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Hope this helps, so you can understand whats inside the standard steering wheel

tinytim
29-12-2004, 09:07 PM
OK, Cancel my last post, (and there was me thinking I'd got a standard Beat).
From the diagram Steve has posted, about the only thing you can check is the centre nut. If that's not loose I would suggest you pop to a garage.

JGGIB
29-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Whats the screen and remote control ....bigger then my tele :rolleyes: two remotes..... is that the clarion display on the passenger side,ive got a spare one of those plus some other bits for the remote cd.:if any one needs one.

Wh1teLeopard
29-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by JGGIB
Whats the screen and remote control ....bigger then my tele :rolleyes: two remotes..... is that the clarion display on the passenger side,ive got a spare one of those plus some other bits for the remote cd.:if any one needs one.

I don't know what the screen is... I 'borrowed' the image, as my camera is playing up.

-----

Thanks for the help on the steering wheel though... looks like it's off to the garage though... as soon as the agency find me a job so I can pay for repairs :rolleyes:

Midship
29-12-2004, 11:38 PM
If you do decide to take the steering wheel off to make sure the casing etc is no tight enough

Remember to loosen the steering wheel nut half way then pull the wheel loose, when it is loose take the nut the rest of the way off.

If you don’t follow this procedure and take the nut straight off, and pull at the steering wheel to remove it will come off and give you a fairly decent thump in the face! ive even heard of a guy breaking his nose!

That might put the modelling on hold for a while ;)

Wh1teLeopard
30-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Midship
ive even heard of a guy breaking his nose!

That might put the modelling on hold for a while ;)

Some people might call it an improvement lol Thanks for the advice though :)

Adam
30-12-2004, 11:00 AM
lol, good tip.

jurek
31-12-2004, 08:14 AM
If you still have a problem with the wheel I have mechanical exerience give me a call and I can have a look for you. ( we are near neighbours) only glad to help
:bounce: