PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Beat-Nick
12-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Just wanted to say hello to the group. I've been "lurking" for a few weeks now (and learning a lot about all things Beat.) I must say, from what I've read so far, seems like a really friendly, helpful group.

I got my red J reg (91) in August, and the novelty still hasn't worn off :D

I've had a few problems with my "mid-life crisis" (as the missus calls it) - a terrible "bumbling" noise at certain revs (turned out not to be the engine, but a loose rear bumper, thankfully!)

Also, there appears to be "soot" in the exhaust - runs perfectly, isn't burning oil, doesn't smoke at all (the car, not me!) I took it back to the dealer I got it from, and they said it was "because it's a high compression engine." I thought all engines were high compression??? To be honest, I'm not convinced...

I am a bit worried about fuel consumption - did the necessary calculations and it came out at 35mpg - not bad for a J reg, but a bit higher than some figures I've seen quoted on here. Of course, it could be my driving style...

Also tried to get the recommended Clarion cd changer, which turned out to be superseded. The replacement model was duly purchased, but failed miserably to work. Oh well, I actually prefer the engine sound.

I'd be glad to hear from any Beat owners in my area (Northants, UK.) I did see a grey/green (?) one travelling the other way on the A6 the other day, but by the time I'd turned around it had disappeared.

I've attached a pic from August, and look forward to meeting other members at Billing next year as I'm only ½ hr away.

Keep up the good work!

Beat-Nick
12-11-2004, 01:01 AM
By the way, that's not me in the background - just one of my many "Beat-Groupies!" If I'd known the effect it has on women, I'd have bought one years ago! ;)

owensexport
12-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Can you export any of those beat groupies to the USA?
I have not seen that model here...

Steve_M
12-11-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Beat-Nick
Also, there appears to be "soot" in the exhaust - runs perfectly, isn't burning oil, doesn't smoke at all (the car, not me!) I took it back to the dealer I got it from, and they said it was "because it's a high compression engine." I thought all engines were high compression??? To be honest, I'm not convinced...

Could very well be the capacitors in the ECU beginning to fail and causing the engine to run rich. Otherwise keep a close eye on oil usage and this is a common problem as well meaning an engine rebuild.

Beat-Nick
12-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the advice, Steve. Is this a big job? And is it worth getting it done anyway just in case? And what/where is the ECU??? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm on a very steep learning curve here!

Steve_M
12-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Worth doing, as complete failure of ECU capacitors seem to mean dead ECU as it cause irrepairable damage. Do a search on this board for Capacitors and ECU.

ECU is located behind passenger seat, behind the document box.

HTH

owensexport
13-11-2004, 03:01 AM
Trade you a set of capacitors for a groupie:D

Beat-Nick
13-11-2004, 02:27 PM
haha - it's a good job I didn't post the "other" pic ;)

Any advance on Owen's set of capacitors??

How about a (Beat Babes?) Calendar for 2005? I'd be happy to put one together for download - maybe with all donations going to U-UKHBC?

tinytim
13-11-2004, 05:34 PM
You can pick the cd unit up off e-bay, they seem to have been fitted to purgeots:awwww:
I get the soot on my tail pipes as well, I've never been that worried before. I'd put it down to cheap 95 Ron fuel but now Steves mentioned that I'll keep an eye on it.

Do I get the groupie for telling you where you can get a CD unit from.:D I'll chuck in a steering wheel?

owensexport
13-11-2004, 06:45 PM
I bought a set of capacitors from Japan. I am sure there are
guys in the UK that have them, or you can put them together yourself. OZsamurai has the values listed and some very good instructions on his website.
I recently changed mine, although I just rebuilt the engine and it was running fine, I saw alot of threads about them here and just did it. One cap was about to fall apart when I unsoldered it.
I would suggest you change them...

Beat-Nick
13-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks, I'll check Ozsamurai's site for the capacitor values.

I better place a bulk order for groupies - what size does everyone want? :D

adrianp
13-11-2004, 08:49 PM

5'2" blonde, nice figure, good personality,etc,etc,

Actually scrub that.... Anyone will do...;)

tinytim
13-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks, I'll check Ozsamurai's site for the capacitor values.

I'll take a budget model as long as the edges don't interfere with the handbrake :D

ozsamurai
15-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Since we're all putting in our orders, it been a while between blondes for me too, reckon you could manage one of those?

lol

Oz