PDA

View Full Version : radio - broken buttons??

mlind1
19-10-2004, 11:56 PM
I want to get a cd changer for my beat, but not all the buttons seem to work. They are quite wobberly and when I press them don't seem to do anything. Anyone got any suggestions?

thanks

mike

johnross
20-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Mike,

I have a CD changer that used the radio to receive the signal and has a remote control - so I just set the radio an channel 6.

Cheers, John.

mlind1
20-10-2004, 10:01 PM
i've had a play and the volume, skip and main function keys work fine so I think I'll get away with it. its just the number keys that don't work, + the power key

tinytim
20-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi Mike,

It might be worth taking the radio out and checking the actual switches. The buttons you are pressing have rods on them which "should" press the micro-switches. It is quite common for a gap to form between the rod and the switch, so given the very small amount of movement abailable with the button it won't reach the switch.

Undo the two screws holding the radio in (either side of the console just below the plastic, you'll have to pull the carpet down slightly)

Slide the radio forward (put the gear stick in 2nd) and disconnect the socket and aeriel.

Remove the face plate (fairly obvious) but when you actually pull it away from the radio, note the position of the rubber piece.

If you now press all the micro-switches directly with your finger you should get a definate click. If you do it may also be worth reconnecting the electrics and checking they actually do what they are supposed to.

If they don't your pretty well stuffed unless you know someone who can fix it, chances are they all work and all you will need to do is fit packing pieces.

Fitting the packing pieces is pretty much trail and error because you'll fit one to one button and it will work fine but the one next to it now doesn't work. Basically what I did was got a cerial box that was plasticised on both sides, cut a load of little squares and stuck one to each button that didn't work (using a prit stick so they can come off again) then refitted the face and tried the buttons. Any button that didn't have the definate click from the micro-switch got a square.

I've got both a radio and a CD player with lead if you want either drop me a PM.

Good luck
Tim

adrianp
21-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Mine was simlar when I bought it... 1/2 worked but 3/4 & 5/6 didn't...

Eventually I took the radio apart and found then someone had already been inside it and damaged a couple of tracks...:mad:

A couple of soldered in link wires later and it worked fine...:bounce:

So it would be worth taking it apart and having a look inside

Once inside, make sure the switches on the pcb have their thin square of plastic (white on mine) fitted to the front of them, I forgot to put one back and had to take everything apart again... :suicide: If they aren't there then you can make some as suggested in Tims post above

Hope this help.

Ady.

Andrew Fisher
21-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I've not pulled mine apart but I think you'll find that the bodies if not always the actuator of tactile switches are pretty standard so if knackered I don't think there's necessarily an end to it. If someone has a knackered board or switch hanging around I could try and source some if anyone's interested.

johnross
21-10-2004, 02:20 PM
"Undo the two screws holding the radio in (either side of the console just below the plastic, you'll have to pull the carpet down slightly)

Slide the radio forward"

. . . and then however do you get it back in???

Paul w
21-10-2004, 04:09 PM
RS do these switches,

( www.rswww.com)

Can't remember the name of them off hand though. They also do some long stemmed ones, might be worth a look if you have broken buttons?

PW

tinytim
22-10-2004, 06:36 PM
John Ross, It goes back the same way (gear stick in 2nd ,4th or reverse) but you might have the leads folding up behind the radio. You may have to pull the plastic plug that secures the carpet on the drivers side out completely and move the carpet down a bit more, then, with a pair of slender fingers, you can adjust the wiring as you slide the radio back into position.

johnross
23-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Let me know next time you're in Warwickshire with your "slender fingers"!

John.

tinytim
23-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Sorry john I've got a pack of sausages on the ends of my arms. If it's not the wiring it may be the metal frame has taken a knock. There isn't much else there!

Paul w
23-10-2004, 04:26 PM
hehehe

try a bit of string around the cables, feed it down the back beneath the cross member and guide the cables that way!

You didnt end up feeding the main connector through the wrong side of the bar at the back did you? if you get your head in the passenger foot well you can see whats going on with a torch! Just dont get stuck (as i did!)

PW

johnross
23-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the string tip Paul, I'll give it a go when the rain stops.

John.

mlind1
23-10-2004, 11:45 PM
appreciated too guys, i'll have a crack at it when I'm feeling brave!!